Mpc 2000xl users, I need a lil help...

36 chamber music

When I loop say a two bar loop (8 beats) and then zone chop the loop into 16 zones (all equal obviously), when I find the melody I like with my chops I record them. When I play it back (my timing is usually at 16 btw) there's popping noises between the slices, even adjusting the bpm doesn't help (I timestretch before I zone chop the loop, so it fits my bpm perfect).

I can't figure out for the life of me what the problem is. Do I need to adjust the start and end points of each slice? I figured sense my bpm of my loop is perfectly time stretched to fit the bpm of my sequence and all the chops are equal (16 zones) That it makes no sense to adjust the start n end points of each zone...

Maybe I need at at least make sure all my slices (zones) are chopped at zero crossings....idk, I'm kinda confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your loop may be perfect, but keep in mind that the music you are sampling was played by humans. When you are auto chopping, you should listen to all the chops before you slice it up to see that everything is on point.

Listen to the samples on your pads individually, and if they have clicks and pops in their ends, just open the sample in the trim mode and move the end point a bit so that the pop is left out. If you check them out in the program mode, you don't have to browse through the samples in trim mode.

Your loop may be perfect, but keep in mind that the music you are sampling was played by humans. When you are auto chopping, you should listen to all the chops before you slice it up to see that everything is on point.

Listen to the samples on your pads individually, and if they have clicks and pops in their ends, just open the sample in the trim mode and move the end point a bit so that the pop is left out. If you check them out in the program mode, you don't have to browse through the samples in trim mode.

Yeah, I prolly have to adjust the end points...tthanks for the feedback guys.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

its wierd tho, when i set the loop to ON to each individual slice (after i slice the sounds/zones) in trim/loop mode the poppping sounds go away. But i cant have loop on cuz then u cant set each note to mono (it has to stay at note off), meaning ill have to hold down the pad...im lost!

Yeah, I prolly have to adjust the end points...tthanks for the feedback guys.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

its wierd tho, when i set the loop to ON to each individual slice (after i slice the sounds/zones) in trim/loop mode the poppping sounds go away. But i cant have loop on cuz then u cant set each note to mono (it has to stay at note off), meaning ill have to hold down the pad...im lost!

just use the step recording and set the duration....youre not hearing pops bc there's no space in between the sounds when they loop.

96 ticks per quarter note...
quarter note has duration 96
half bar is 192
full bar is 384

just use the step recording and set the duration....youre not hearing pops bc there's no space in between the sounds when they loop.

half bar is 192
full bar is 384

great info...thanks

I use the step sequence a lot, n I will deff start to manually edit the duration of my chops (when loop is on).

The thing is, what if I wanna play my chops, in mono, with loop off...it's just more fun to play them rather then step editing them...oh well I guess I could find my melody by playing then go back and turn loop on an then step edit the looped chops.

There's gotta be a better way though.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

half bar is 192
full bar is 384

yeah I know that's why I'm
not hearing pops, but I timestretch and then set my tempo to the bpm I time stretch too. Then I chop it (via zone chopping) and there's still pops when really there shouldn't be because it's in perfect tempo...idk maybe I'm missing something.

Even after I chop it, sometimes I'll go to step edit and put the notes in manually To make sure it sounds good when played in perfect timing (usually eighth notes)...when I play it back it still pops...

There's a video of Pete rock where it appears he chopped up a two bar loop into 16 chops (zones), n he's playing the loop like backwards...idealy that's what I'm looking to do, just find my own melody with a chopped up loop.

Last edited:
when youre about to chop, the machine asks you for a number of samples to add to the end of every chop. default is 30, if i'm going to be playing the loop back in perfect timing like your saying ill put 0 or 5 here.

One more thing...use Open Window on the St/End point of each slice to make sure you're not getting the beginning of a snare or something.

when youre about to chop, the machine asks you for a number of samples to add to the end of every chop. default is 30, if i'm going to be playing the loop back in perfect timing like your saying ill put 0 or 5 here.

One more thing...use Open Window on the St/End point of each slice to make sure you're not getting the beginning of a snare or something.

Thanks man I'll try reducing the end margain...

Yeah I always open window on start/end points, to make sure it's perfect, with no extra uneeded sounds and also chopped at zero crossings.

Back