MPC 2000 vs PADs & DAW

N

Neza

MPC 2000 vs PADs & DAW vs midikeyboard & DAW
if you are punching in your drum track

does it make a difference if you use a mpc or a midikeyboard or midipads?
will the drum groove come out as tight as when you only use hardware like an mpc?
please no speculations
only reply if you can speak from experience

<style> qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; } </style><qtl style="display: none; left: 106px; top: 25px;" class=""> <qtlbar name="bar">
copy.png
favicon.ico
favicon.ico
</qtlbar> <iframe name="content"></iframe> </qtl>

Hardware has a slight advantage due to the faster response of sounds being monitored in real time as they are played (something delay compensation has no effect on).

P.S. This is in regard to playing/monitoring VST instruments while recording as opposed to playing/monitoring hardware while using a computer for recording MIDI.

Last edited:
Agreed. If you want your playback to be exactly as you played it.... go w/ hardware. Midi is very good... but can be a little off at times.

But remember... sometimes ur timing can be way off and u don't really notice it til you play it back and realize you were all over the place (especially if u can't hear ur click track over the beat).. so midi might be good enough, since we're talkin fractions of milliseconds. might be good enough unless ur a drummer and are truly locked in on your timing when u play.

Last edited:
If you use a protocol such as Linear Time Base when recording, you can theoretically get MIDI latency down to about 1ms, but your actual MIDI input will still be determined by audio latency as you monitor your real time playing, in other words if the audio is late your playing will be slightly off.

All of the above options will get the job done. I have used all of the above options and nobody can tell the difference or even cares about it once they hear my music. The latency people talk about when using software is really small we are talking milliseconds. Its really a preference thing.

thank you everybody
i am using a midi keyboard with a pro-DAW
and i cannot tell you how much gets lost in translation or on the way
but the drumtracks just loose their bite and it all becomes very blurry and ungroovy

<style> qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; } </style><qtl style="display: block; left: 147px; top: 86px;" class=""> <qtlbar name="bar">
copy.png
favicon.ico
favicon.ico

thank you everybody
i am using a midi keyboard with a pro-DAW
and i cannot tell you how much gets lost in translation or on the way
but the drumtracks just loose their bite and it all becomes very blurry and ungroovy

<style> qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; } </style><qtl style="display: block; left: 147px; top: 86px;" class=""> <qtlbar name="bar">
copy.png
favicon.ico
favicon.ico
if that is the case I would work on timing more so than finding a new tool. You won't get better timing because of different gear its still based on how you play.

if that is the case I would work on timing more so than finding a new tool. You won't get better timing because of different gear its still based on how you play.
i doubt that's the case when you can play it tight on a table or a drumset...and it only sounds loose on a pc

Back