Mixing with VirtualDJ

adinboy

I am trying to make a mix for a friend that I can burn onto a CD. I have been messing around with VirtualDJ 8 and getting really familiar with it. The only problem is the record feature. I don't like that I have to record my mixing because if I mess up then I have to go back and edit it again. And this is completely impractical if I'm trying to make an hour long mix. I previously made a mix in Digital Performer 8.0 but it was very hard to put in the mixing effects and required a hell of a lot more effort.

I'm wondering if there is anything out there that gives me the timeline control of a DAW but the ease of mixing of a DJ software like VirtualDJ.

Well you could practice mixing until you don't mess up. What DAW are you working with btw? If you really want to make sure there's no mistakes at all then why not just mix inside your DAW? ;)

I use Digital Performer. But like I said, it's really difficult and the effects are hard to control. VirtualDJ makes mixing so easy (obviously) but like you said, you just have to be so experienced in it that you don't mess up. I want to be able to mix and then go back and edit something if I don't like it on the 2nd or 3rd listen.

Do you consider your mixing being a performance and that you do it because you love mixing, or do you just want to lay down some ideas on a CD?

If you just want to lay down some ideas or whatever, just import the tracks into a DAW or other software (Audacity could work as well) and deal with them there.

If a performance that you enjoy, learn different shortcommands for VirtualDJ so you don't have to mouse around as much, which makes it all harder (that's like dj'ing with 1 hand).
You don't have to practice for eternity to be able to deliver a good mix, just practice on the main ideas you have within your planned mixtape.
If it's a transition between 2 songs, then practice that a few times - just start a few second before and exercise, then directly jump back and start over once you're done.
The same goes if you're practicing a mashup or so.

if you dont feel experienced enough to mix properly then dont record in vdj, use an external program like audacity/reaper/cubase to do it. should you mess up just stop the recording & cue up the track that was playing then continue the mix from there, then slice at a quiet part of the song (easier with less sounds). then adjust the timeline and where it overlaps just slice it to get rid of the overlapping section and play it back to see if the joined audio is smooth enough to get away with. if youre recording in a daw then use fades in audio clips to get a better result

Last edited:
Back