Mixing input and ideas for the song

Eelis Ewert

Hey erbody,

View attachment TrumpSolo.mp3

I don't have any friends that play around in cubase like I do so maybe I can find some here ;)
I'm a total amateur when it comes to mixing and I find it really difficult, especially after an hour or two I just go total retard and can't for the life of me tell what sounds good or not.
So maybe you could help and comment on what I should change in the track..

Also I would reaaallly welcome any ideas of how to proceed with it. I have a hard time figuring out what the vocals should be like.
I was thinking maybe a kind of spanish sounding guitar in the intro, and for the cymbal part after the trumpet solo (cymbals sound shit right now, I know :P) I was thinking something in the style of the intro to Muse's "Uno"
That would be really badass I think.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Well I don't necessarily use cubase, however I may can help you with learning the basics in mixing in general. Let me ask, what do you use to hear while mixing? I've noticed you said you can't hear what sounds good. This could be due too the type of speakers or headphones you are using. If not then mixing will just take practice.

Last edited:
this is a house tune if i ever heard one -- try adding a fat kick 4 on the floor with and offbeat ride and clap when the main trumpet come is, switch up the drums will bring a lot of life --- the mix down doesn't sound that bad its just really quiet. I think some fat drums would sound dope idk what your trying to go for. Also theres a weird harmonic click thing every once in a while i cant tell if thats supposed to be there or not def see when that sound comes in what else is playing at that time they sound like they're clashing. kinda hard to give you exact tip without seeing the mix down process but i think that would jog your creative ness.

I use KRK headphones and really nothing else. I don't have any well functioning speakers so I use my laptop sound for reference which is probably not the best idea.

this is a house tune if i ever heard one -- try adding a fat kick 4 on the floor with and offbeat ride and clap when the main trumpet come is, switch up the drums will bring a lot of life --- the mix down doesn't sound that bad its just really quiet. I think some fat drums would sound dope idk what your trying to go for. Also theres a weird harmonic click thing every once in a while i cant tell if thats supposed to be there or not def see when that sound comes in what else is playing at that time they sound like they're clashing. kinda hard to give you exact tip without seeing the mix down process but i think that would jog your creative ness.

OK great thanks I will def do the drum thing during the solo. Could you specify whats quiet? the bass or...
Weird harmonic click uhhm not sure maybe the bass is off key on some notes?

I use KRK headphones and really nothing else. I don't have any well functioning speakers so I use my laptop sound for reference which is probably not the best idea.

No indeed, it's not a good idea. In mixing there's no way one can get a decent mix using laptop speakers, or at least I haven't found a way. I've never used KRK Headphones before, however I guarantee that you'll get a better sound mixing on those vs your laptop. When I first started producing, I used to mix and master on two 15 Inch Subs, and it never came out right. This because on 15s almost everything while producing sounds decent mainly because it doesn't capture all the frequencies. I bought 5s from a music store that out preformed my 15s! When it came to quality because they picked up more flaws in my mix then my 15s. (Disclaimer in the case of the 15s when I say quality, I'm not referring to loudness, but rather, I'm referring to clarity)

Now you are probably like what does this have to do with me? Well I'm illustrating this because the case is similar to you when it comes to using your laptop as reference. It does not pick up all the frequencies, mainly lows in the case of a laptops. So while you are mixing there's no way you can remove lows where it is needed, or in many cases, other frequencies as well.

This may be some of the reason why the song sounds kinda choppy at times. The reason I'm giving so much advice on what you hear is because it's a very important aspect to mixing in general. :)

just the overall mix itself -- like i have to turn my interface master up quite a bit to hear it well. Are you using any kind of processing on your tracks?

and if your not familiar with the exact type of drum line I'm taking about check the link out --

https://youtu.be/NwG31fKgfkM

this track gets a little redundant - but shadow child is a great producer -- all I'm talking about is the kick, snare, offbeat ride drum pattern would really make your song sound cool i think

Back