Mixing in a bad acoustic environment, help needed

Hedge12

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding mixing, more specific on mixing in a bad acoustic room, with decent monitors (Yamaha HS105).
Currently, I mix mainly using my monitors, but once I switch to my wireless Sennheiser headset for reference, my low end just disappears and the mid-high section is out of balance.
I know that my wireless headset isn't appropriate for mixing, but I use it mainly as a reference in order to hear how the mix would sound on a non-professional device.

I read online that the use of reference tracks is a good starting point. But my question is - if it's worth it using reference tracks when the acoustic room doesn't work in my favor.
If for example, I load in a professional reference track and match my track's elements (i.e., kick, bass, lead, etc.) to the reference track - using my monitors, would this than also translate to a proper mix on my wireless headphones?

I'm really stuck at this point, and I can't seem to figure it out or find a relevant answer (also due to Reddit's blackout).
So, if someone has some guidance or insights on this topic, feel free to reply.

Thank you in advance!

First of all If you are a beginner or working in an enviroment like yours I would suggest buying a pair of studio headphones to do mixing beacuse the project neutral sound. I would recomend the SENHEISER HD 280 PRO, they are relatively cheap and good. After you have completed your mix you can use your bad acoustic enviroment to youre advantage, not everyone has an optimal acoustic enviroment so adjusting your mix to fit these kind of scenarios will ensure that youre mix is accesible. Try doing this on other devices too such as phone, car etc. Hope this helps!

Spend at least an entire day listening to music that is sonically similar to the music you want to create. First, try to observe the differences by listening, next load them in an EQ and look at the spectrum for any obvious differences. Finally, adjust your mixes to taste, then bounce your new version and compare it on a different listening device to your ideal mix reference track. You'll probably need to go back and touch it up a bit more the first few times.

First of all If you are a beginner or working in an enviroment like yours I would suggest buying a pair of studio headphones to do mixing beacuse the project neutral sound. I would recomend the SENHEISER HD 280 PRO, they are relatively cheap and good. After you have completed your mix you can use your bad acoustic enviroment to youre advantage, not everyone has an optimal acoustic enviroment so adjusting your mix to fit these kind of scenarios will ensure that youre mix is accesible. Try doing this on other devices too such as phone, car etc. Hope this helps!
This

I read online that the use of reference tracks is a good starting point. But my question is - if it's worth it using reference tracks when the acoustic room doesn't work in my favor.
If for example, I load in a professional reference track and match my track's elements (i.e., kick, bass, lead, etc.) to the reference track - using my monitors, would this than also translate to a proper mix on my wireless headphones?

Back