Mixer with Firewire. My laptop does not have firewire ports tho...

SOTAMuzik1

Sooo, I went to the rec center in my hometown and noticed they have a recording studio that has NEVER been used! :bigeyes:

BUT the first thing I see when I walk in are these two 8" Mackie monitors and a Mackie Onyx 1640i mixer. The computer that they have in there does not have any DAWs set up on it (other than demos of FL Studio 9 and Acid Pro.... I did however see something with WAVES, so I might look into that next time I go in). Either way I figured I'm probably not gonna use their computer so I'll bring in my laptop.

Only problem is this Mackie mixer only uses firewire, which my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) does not have any. Does anyone know of any USB-to-FireWire adapters or anything I could buy?

USB and FireWire are so different in the way they function that I'm fairly sure an adapter won't work, especially not with realtime audio.

It might be possible to get a FireWire card for your laptop. The Toshiba Satellite was a big-ass family of laptops, so dunno what the exact specs are. Furthermore, the Onyx series has been discontinued a few years back, so the driver support only goes up to Win8 or so.

USB and FireWire are so different in the way they function that I'm fairly sure an adapter won't work, especially not with realtime audio.

It might be possible to get a FireWire card for your laptop. The Toshiba Satellite was a big-ass family of laptops, so dunno what the exact specs are. Furthermore, the Onyx series has been discontinued a few years back, so the driver support only goes up to Win8 or so.

Okay. Well, it's all plugged up to a Dell Desktop so I can still use that. My next question is this because I've never tried it: Can I have my DAW saved to my hard-drive, so that I can take all my stuff with me and not leave it all there.

If you can get a pci-e card that has a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset... It 'might' work.

Installing Reaper on the rec-centres computer would be my advice.

If you can get a pci-e card that has a TI (Texas Instruments) chipset... It 'might' work.

Installing Reaper on the rec-centres computer would be my advice.

I don't think my laptop can install a PCI-e card (honestly don't know what it is, but didn't see it when I searched the specs)

Soooo, download reaper at the rec center, keep my VSTs/packs/projects on an external?

Can I have my DAW saved to my hard-drive, so that I can take all my stuff with me and not leave it all there.

Yes, I'd recommend using Reaper as I'mNoGuru suggested since it doesn't require installation at all - you can run it off an USB stick if you want.

Back