Mix still doesnt sound professional [example included

Ferdows

Hi guys,

So the last year I spent a lot of my time reading and watching tutorials about mixing. I think I have come a good way and know more than the basics now.

But when I mix a track I still cant get the clarity in my tracks like professionals do. I dont have professional gear, but I got some decent gear and pretty good plugins.

So did I reach my limit here? Or do you guys hear something in my track which I can improve ? Every feedback is welcome, Im always looking for improvement in myself.

Thanks!

Track:

I just listened to your track. I found the sound a bit synthetic, that's basically all, that and the quality of monitoring and limiting was what I reacted on. The combination makes the mix a bit plastic. I would recommend that you consider your work with this now pretty optimal, but start to plan how to basically make a good pro upgrade cycle - better sound sources, limiters, monitors...

Thanks for the reply, what kind of sources are you referring to? And what limiters did you have in thought? Im already saving up money for better monitors, but the room treatment is also a problem. I have the Dynaudio bm5 mkII now.

Sounds good, Ferdows. I disagree with you that it "doesn't sound professional" but since you asked for some critique, I'll offer my opinion.

I'd like to hear a mix with the vocals sitting a little further back in the mix (not as loud). I feel like some of the grit and "bang" of the song is lost behind the vocals. Perhaps, a little less vocals and a little more beat would make the song hit a little harder? Just mess with that balance. Sometimes, I almost like to "semi-struggle" to grasp the vocals. It gives the impression that the beat is pumpin'/crankin'/blastin' and SOMETIMES thats a good thing. It's kinda like walking a tightrope though, you don't want everything to get lost. Your emcee will especially not like that.

Personally, I would start there. But it sounds good. Real good. And a good song.

It's hard because mixing is extremely subjective. You know that. At this point, I've given up on trying to mimic things and have a certain mix, I just mix it how I like and move on. Sometimes I make changes after a few weeks, when I can go at it with fresh ears. If you've been working on this a while, step away from it. Listen to other music. Don't listen to this for a week or so, and then go back to it. Fresh ears will probably show you what you are wanting.

Hope I could help. Keep it up.

Mate, I think sounds great. If you wanted some constructive criticism I would perhaps work a little more at getting the vocals to "sit" right - at a few points in the song I felt like they were jumping out a bit much, almost makes them feel like they're not "bedded" in, if that makes any kind of sense. More that they're stuck on top rather than part of the product.

But saying that I did have to listen closely to pick something out.

I think it's real good so don't dwell on it. Use this as your benchmark and get on with the next one yeah? ;)

And I also agree 1000% with Nerozumiem, the approach of "leave it and come back to it a week later with fresh ears" is the best test of mixing you could use.

Back