Mix: compression and limiting before mastering

demonproducer

I need guidance from someone 'semi-pro' with a lot of mixing and mastering experience.
I've been struggling with dynamic range, because I just can't get a "SUPER LOUD" master without distortion, let's say -8 LUFS.
I know all the basics and advanced stuff, but something is holding me back and I don't know what it is.
The best mixes I've done are sitting around -10 LUFS but yet they don't compete with the loudness of 'pro records' on Spotify and these records are usually at least -8 LUFS with minimal dynamic range.

The main question here is that should I be limiting and compressing even harder in the mixing stage or should I be more relaxed before mastering.

This has been bothering me for a long time and even though when I'm comparing a finished mix to another reference mix, the whole frequency range seems well balanced.

I just don't get it how players on this field crank the masters so hard without audible distortion, so it's clearly louder compared to my work on streaming services and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with dynamic range.

Back