Misuse or Non-use of a hot sample on a major label recording.

Mods go ahead and move this to hip hop and r&b music discussion if you think it fits better there. I am posting it here because it relates to sampling.

Ever hear a song with a hot sample on a major record but you feel the flip is lacking? For example you listen to it and the first thought in your head is... Wait, I know that sample and... that's all your going to do with it? C'mon!

Basically my feeling when I listened to this.

Menahan Street Band is awesome. They deserve a little more. (I would love if someone can recommend something that is similar or is MSB's most formative influence but that is beside the point).

There is nothing wrong with looping IMHO. I mean i listen to cream and I'm like nope nothing else needed but in Cudi's case I feel like they could of used a little more...something. I don't know. Venting over.

Here is Cream since I mentioned it:

Can you further explain what you don't like about the flip in solo dolo? I just don't understand what you mean. At the beginning I thought you were saying it was lazy of the producer to just loop it without rearranging chops but if that's not the problem, then what is? I personally can't see what else could have been done with the sample?

Mods go ahead and move this to hip hop and r&b music discussion if you think it fits better there. I am posting it here because it relates to sampling.

Ever hear a song with a hot sample on a major record but you feel the flip is lacking? For example you listen to it and the first thought in your head is... Wait, I know that sample and... that's all your going to do with it? C'mon!

Basically my feeling when I listened to this.

Menahan Street Band is awesome. They deserve a little more. (I would love if someone can recommend something that is similar or is MSB's most formative influence but that is beside the point).

There is nothing wrong with looping IMHO. I mean i listen to cream and I'm like nope nothing else needed but in Cudi's case I feel like they could of used a little more...something. I don't know. Venting over.

Here is Cream since I mentioned it:

You say it wasnt flipped right but you cant say what you'd do to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replying. Sometimes it helps me to talk stuff out to figure out what I am thinking. Lets be clear I like that album and I purchased it. There is a lot of dope production on it. The sample chop works for the track.

Psalm and benji2 in response to your question I have narrowed it down. When you are familiar with a sample and it is chopped in an unfamiliar way or you have an expectation or feeling I wonder when this part will come in? And it doesn't.

Sort of like the precognative déjà vu. Ever feel like that? Is it disappointing for you? Feels like there should be a word for that. :)

Its funny that Cudi comes out in the first of the song saying he is on acid and the rest of the song you can feel him rap with a clenched jaw hahaha. Dude normally has a lose flow because of all the weed he has smoked lol. The samples match up to the flow. Very stiff and I can feel the tension in the song. This song is deff catered to people on hallucinogens though.

I also would not question Wu-Tangs production of the song C.R.E.A.M. This late in the game and just let it ride.

Back