Midi to Audio?

D

dj funkifize

Ok,
I got a short song using midi. And I want to convert it to audio so I can send it to my friends and stuff..... How do I do that? is there a program that will do it similar to wav/mp3 encoders/decoders? help!

thanks
-Mike

no

not directly

see, when you say "converting like wav/mp3" this is not possible.

MIDI is NOT audio data, it is basically a "program", containing the music sheet, and the information of each track (what MIDI device it is targetted to, channel...).

a MIDI file basically plays through the soundbanks of your soundcard.

Is this "midi" a song you composed in a sequencer?

remember that you can "capture" the sound of your computer by opening a WAV recorder (like Sound Forge or similar) and record a WAV of any sound playing on your computer.

Hope this helps! dont hesitate to ask more questions. I know all this is a bit confusing in the beginning.

take care

Mano-
I know MIDI isn't audio, but I was thinking that there might be a program that pretty much just records the midi as you said I'd have to do, but without having to do it manually... you know what I mean? from the soundbanks, as it played, it would convert to audio by recording... I guess there isn't such a thing.
and

"Is this "midi" a song you composed in a sequencer? "

... I wrote it using Cakewalk and a midi controller.

dj sHoE

I don't want to send it just as a MIDI, because as ManoOne said, MIDI is not audio, and my friends are not into audio as I am and therefore have consumer soundcards which have pretty bad MIDI sounds (I'd prefer they hear it as I do- and I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so as they might not care too much, I would:)). Plus I also have a couple of songs thats mixed audio and MIDI and would like to have those all in audio format. And I want to try to eventually make a CD of some of my stuff which requires audio too (not MIDI).

thanks guys for your help. :)
and yes I will have more questions soon :)
-Mike

[Edited by dj funkifize on 01-27-2001 at 02:37 PM]

ok i understand totally now. You need to "capture" the sound of your computer. Three solutions:

1. use a WAV editor like Sound Forge. You can record "any" sound your computer is generating in realtime

2. get a DAT recorder. expensive but damn good quality. Simply record what comes to the LINE IN of the DAT recorder.

3. get a MD recorder. same as above, but a little less good quality, a LOT cheaper.

In general there is no magic solution, you need to record yourself with an external device like a DAT or a MD. Then, to make an MP3 out of this, you simply open sound forge, and record the sound of your MD or your DAT to get a WAV out of your recording. DAT and MD are great because you can keep all your recordings safe (safer than a file on a computer).

Back