MIDI controllers freeze at random, mid-session.

sock_62

Running Ableton Live 9 Standard on a late 2013 15" macbook pro, and have a launchpad, launchcontrol and Korg Nanokontrol all running through a powered USB hub (why apple only gave a high-end laptop two USB ports is beyond me). all MIDI controllers will be fine for about 5 minutes or so, then either one of them, or all of them will freeze randomly. none of the buttons flash when pressed on the launchpad, rotaries on the launch control cease to affect anything, little MIDI light on the top right of ableton's UI doesn't respond, etc etc. The only short-term fix i've found is unplugging them all one-by-one, then plugging them back in again - and even then this only fixes the problem for another 5 minutes. I did originally have my arturia keylab 49 plugged into the USB hub as well thinking that it could be overloading the power draw, but the problem persists. Could probably get away with this while performing but it's increasingly becoming disruptive and incredibly frustrating when jamming with ideas and recording - is there anything you guys could suggest?

some people on google have recommended finding the preference folder via the help menu and deleting a file in there, tried this, problem continues to persist.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 things I can suggest is removing the drivers for them and reinstalling making sure you have the latest drivers for each. I run a macbook on the road with live 9 and a few midi controllers and havent had any issuses keep us posted.

I tried this, same problem - though I was doubtful since all my devices are plug and play.
I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the computer since I had virtually the same hardware setup with my previous laptop (except with a few other demanding peripherals like NI Maschine, external hard drive, keyboard, etc) with absolutely no issues. This problem has only cropped up since getting a new computer last week.

Yeah the driver issuse was just a wild hopeful shot man I think its the usb ports also as they should be plug and play as you said. Might want to take it back to get looked at if its still new goodluck on that I know how frustrating it can be when you just want to make music.

Yeah, I'm having a handful of other issues as well like intermittent wi-fi connection and really heavy lag with apps that run in high-def - I think I'm just going to go take it up with the apple store, really shouldn't be having these problems on a computer that cost well over the £2k margin.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.

Back