Metal/Folk/Rock musician turned EDM!

Phobophilic

Hey all! First timer here and about to get an Alesis VI25 in the mail within the next few days, for making psytrance and maybe a little chillstep... I think the weighted keys and pitch wheel are what sold it to me over the cheaper model. More pads, too!

Sitting around a fire listening to Tipper with some friends, and I came upon a realization; why am I not making this? I have been having drummers lately for my stoner doom project, and it occurred to me that a traditional 4-piece band is completely obsolete, being fazed out even. So I bought a MIDI controller in lieu of my recent epiphany and plan on getting comfortable with it through my 2.1 stereo over the next month or so.

I realize that mixing has to be done with proper monitors, so you can hear if anything is cancelling anything out, but how important is the quality of those monitors? Can I get some bargain bin specials and spend most of my budget on some decent phones, or am I better off getting some <$50 phones and spending the majority of my budget on monitors?

Most of my goofing around will be with the headphones...

How about using analogue gear? I mean my analogue delays, optical compressor, and the like all sound tits, but how relevant is this to the EDM crowd? Anyone else here run sounds through tube pre-amps and germanium transistors and the like?

Also, any other guitar players here? I rock a '69 Fender Bassman, running RCA pre valves, EL34 power section, because I do what I want, and the bass channel is now a JTM 45. 1981 Ibanez Destroyer, Fender MIM Strat, and a 1980 Ovation Balladeer 1111. All the pedals to go with it.

Old tube amps will never be replaced by computer processors... they're just to damned sexy!

Last edited:
Back