Melodic crazyness

Olie

Please don't leave feedback saying it needs x,y or z added. I only need feedback on how i can improve the lead melody - for example is it too random or too repetitive? Thank you :)

I forgot to add; this is essentially 2 bars of music throughout the whole track repeated in different configurations, some parts deleted, time stretched, transposed, etc. I'm curious to see reactions and if anyone picks up on it. Thanks again and all feedback will be returned.

Hey Olie,

Let me start by saying that I am very much into melodic music which is often not what dance and hip hop music are about, so I'm glad to see you going in this direction. I also have a Master of Music degree from Yale University, so I have a lot of experience with classical and Jazz - and melodic music in general. So here's my thoughts on the melody:

it it sounds mostly pentatonic to me, which gives it an Asian vibe. Inserting a b5 into it will instantly make it sound bluesy if that is a sound you like. Overall I think you have too many melodic ideas in one track. A composition teacher once told me that people need time to absorb what they are hearing - you have lived with it and know it much better than a listener - so don't abandon an idea so quickly. Use more repetition and let the listener learn what the main theme is.

Consider musical geniuses like Bach or Mozart, they would stick with one four bar idea for over 10 minutes (sometimes much longer) and really milk it. Get every last bit out of the melody you can.

With music like this repetition is key and helps the listener become more familiar with the music. Often times in this style instead of changing the melody the changes will come via orchestration (new synth sounds playing the same line) or with a countermelody playing at the same time. In order to have the melody and countermelody interact consider keeping each one relatively simple since their combined effect will be an already complex sound.

Lastly, it sounds as if there isn't enough structure in the melody. Try making a melodic phrase that is 2 to 4 bars long. If it's getting repetitive try this - repeat that same melody twice, insert a new section of equal length, then repeat the initial melody again. This is classic phrase structure of a - a - b - a and it's been around for so long that people are familiar and able to digest it well.

these are just good guidelines in general and I hope you get something useful from them. By no means is what you have bad, but these are things to keep in mind always as we write. Keep it up!

please take a listen to my latest remix, I would appreciate your feedback as well! https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ommand-q-blood-stone-new-thread-f4f-475499/2/

cheers!

- Lead melody rearranged and cleaned up
- Backing melody cleaned up
- Bass added
- Layers added to Lead and backing
- Other stuff i can't remember

Back