"Mathmatical Formula"

Zee one

Hey guys,

a few months into learning about producing and I have a bunch of beats that are like 1/3 of the way finished.

I am finding it very difficult to actually finish a beat...I was wondering if there is/can be a GENERAL formula to creating a hip hop beat that I can follow to help me get started, as far as song structure goes? any tutorials on this subject are appreciated Ive already seen the busyworks beat tutorial and the warbeats one aswell.

Im just basically looking to find my workflow, I need a plan...its difficult for me to just go into FL and just add on to a beat with out a complete vision.

Make sure that whatever is the first thing you do sounds great, don't move on to another aspect of the beat unless you're really excited about the first one

Everybody's process to arrangement is infinitely different. Listen to some of your favorite producers' discography and see what they do. Listen for how many bar verses they do, any bridges, and the hooks. Listen for how they change octaves on certain instruments or change the chord progression. If your a sampler listen to how they flip a completely different part of the song

Another thing to do is collaborate with other producers. Collab with musicians who play better then your or different instruments. I have to tell my brother to stop playing when cuz he will keep coming up with different compositions when i was looking for just one

Lastly link up with rappers in song writers. You'llbe surprised how many will say your song is already done and a lot of times theyre right. Sometimes we overthink something without keeping the writer in mind and leaving space for them. Song writers can also tell you when they need a different part to bring out a different part of a song they're writing.so those people help the most.

If you're making Hip Hop and need structure, then start off doing the beats to conform with the traditional structure:

8-16 bars for the intro
16 bar verse
8 bar chorus
16 bar verse
8 bar chorus (8bar bridge)
8 bar verse
16 bars chorus/out

Back