Making dance music loud

Hi there,

I produce house music and wondering how to get the overall level of music loud. I produce in logic x and i always mix so that all the level of the tracks and the master track are green . then master it louder. is this right ? or should i mix past green and into yellow or reds as long as its not distorting ? i know a lot of dance producers use fl studio , i wasn't sure if this had something to do with it ?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Harry

You're doing it right: mix quiet, then make the master louder. A loud mix does not lead to a louder master. In fact, there are disadvantages for a loud mix.

Personally, I'm in favor of a better sounding master that is a little quieter than a louder master that doesn't sound as good.

I agree with Milo. Unequivocally. But it's something I found very hard to do when I moved to digital recording (Akai DPS12i was my first digital multi-tracker) from recording on tape.
On my old 4-track (it was a Yamaha something or other) I'd push the gain into the red all the time when tracking instruments and mix as loud as I could get away with when demo-ing.
On the Akai you had to be really careful not to clip at either the record or mix stage cos it just sounded awful... Took some getting used to!
Most of the studios we used back then were still running to 2" reels cos the bigger flashier studios were flogging them off cheap. But it was so expensive to get time.
That DPS12i was a grand (GBP) but changed the way we wrote songs - we recorded everything back then - sold boatloads of demo CDs at gigs and would then go record in a studio and put a single out.

You're doing it right: mix quiet, then make the master louder. A loud mix does not lead to a louder master. In fact, there are disadvantages for a loud mix.

Personally, I'm in favor of a better sounding master that is a little quieter than a louder master that doesn't sound as good.

Yup this is exactly how I do it too...I'm glad people know this
I usually raise my master to it peaks above 0, not exactly at 0

Back