majror scratching newbie

so ive been making beats for 2 and a half years now, and in that time ive reallyoly focused on getting better at that, im playing the guitar a lot less then i'd like to for example. so i havent really tried t o get better at scratching, i basically cant do shit. For you guys who know what youre doing, whats the best way to get good. im not trying to e the master but i know it would make my beats a lot better. gimme some advice o how u got good, did u teach yourself, if so how. any response would be very appreciated.

If you don't understand the various scratch techniques, search for videos on Youtube. Here's some diagrams to help out with that too: Scratching - DJ Techniques.
When you got a grasp of how it is done, it's all down to practicing it over and over again. Start slow and build up the pace when you feel you got it.

The best way to learn is through doing it. I like to compare the way I learned how to scratch to the way in which I learned to drive Manual. You can read theory and watch tutorials all day but things like this rely on muscle memory and developing a feel for what you're doing. Just throw on some instrumentals and make noise for a few hours a day until the noise becomes sound and the sound becomes music. As you develop, you can then start to teach yourself fancy techniques. I like where I'm at right now and I still cant Crab Scratch on command.

practice practice and practice, than watch youtube videos while practicing.

Last edited:
Back