Mainstream/Pop Rappers vs. Alternative/Older rappers

b Asterisk Asterisk

Mister Nebula
IMO, the mainstream/pop rap scene has been declining ever since the birht of lil Wayne and Soulja Boy. Theyre themes are so generic, half of their metaphors dont even make sense, and I dont know I just dont think most pop rappers are all that good. Im really into alternative rappers and some rappers that have been around for longer. When i say alternative I mean people whose style of music and wordplay and themes aren't too common, Like George Watsky, Kid Cudi (minus some songs on indicud), Wax, Chance etc. And when I say older I mean People like Eminem, Snoop, Dr Dre, Andre, ya know, them. So which do you like more? Pop rap (lil Wayne, Future, Wiz Kalhifa,etc.) or alternative, or older/mature rappers?

New generation of rappers > old generation as far as lyrically. But they are not in either of the categories you named. They are just like you and me. The problem is "money". People will dumb down their lyrics just to get a large amount of money "fast" instead of slowly but surely.

You think Kendrick Lamar, J.Cole, Wale, ect are dope........then you haven't (and most likely won't) be able to here or even appreciate the ones you "who the media hasn't told you" are doper than them. It's sad that the extremely talented have to result into looking like pathetic pee on ass fools just to get people to listen....just for people to tell them "your dope" and forget about them. All because it is 100,000 of them dudes or more. So a person has to do something other than "have skills" to grab attention (as far as rap). Because there is no "naturally talented rapper".......your skills were determined by how hard you studied someone else and how you built your self from that. Nobody was born with a rapping gift. BUT........people ARE born with a singing gift. You rappers ain't shit in other words....all of them. Get money and STFU about who has talent and who doesn't.....because 3000 (for example) is who he is naturally (not as a rapper) but a gift of attraction.......yet the ones you may hate have that same gift.

Natural talent.

The industry is going to ruin that boy if they get to him.........and he will need friends, and usually those friends will influence him. Greed and Lust.

The cost of fame. #Wale

Last edited:
People seems to forget that older rappers where not that diffrent from newer rappers

People say new rappers only rapp about ass, moneym gunz and smoking blunts, but seems to forget that Wu Tang, Ice Cube a and all rappers in the past was excacly the same.

I love it all...older stuff a little bit more though, old heads still here though..more love for REAL hiphopper's though! I'm a real fan, I hunt for my favorite artist stuff and PAY for it. I wonder how many cat's knew NORE, Ghostface, Ugod and Deck released albums this year?

Last edited:
Thoughout history, somebody will always say they will be better than who they look up to. And they succeed. Even though most people may never notice it.

But none of you rappers touching me......yall still got to catch up and I been out the game for 14 years. Yall still way behind......J.Cole..........Wale........Kendrick Lamar.......whoever. I'm like the reality side of Kanye's Yeezus album sounding like it was made in 3000, SON!!!!! I'm the end all be all. What you thought you came up with....I did that back in the 90's.

Just so yall youngins know.

Back