M-Audio Studio Monitors recommended for first monitors?

Ukemi

Hello,

So I want to produce EDM music and am looking for my very first set of studio monitors. I want decent monitors that are better than typical computer speakers when it comes to producing music and mastering.

I'm specifically looking at these but am definitely up for your suggestions if you have any. My budget for both speakers is right at about $300

M-Audio BX5 D2 Active Studio Monitor (pair): $300

- Frequency response: 53 Hz - 22 kHz
- Crossover frequency: 3 kHz
- Low-frequency amplifier power: 40 watts
- High-frequency amplifier power: 30 watts
- Maximum signal-to-noise (dynamic range): > 100 dB (typical A-weighted)
polarity: positive signal at + input produce outward LF cone displacement
- Input impedance: 20 k ohms balanced, 10 k ohms unbalanced
- Input sensitivity: 85 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at one meter with volume control at maximum
- Power: factory programmed for either 115V ~50/60 Hz or 230V ~50/60 Hz
- Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, external mains fuse
- Cabinet: vinyl-laminated MDF
- Size: 7.7" x 7" x 10"; 19.5cm x 17.6cm x 25.2cm
- Weight: 11 lbs./unit; 5 kg.Dimensions and Weight in PackagingPairShipping Weight: 26 lbsShipping Dimensions: 18 x 11 x 13 in

Or should I spend the extra cash and get the KRK RP5G2's?

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

I think I just found my answer after searching. Sorry for the thread! Seems as though the KRK RP5's totally outperform these M-Audios.

Last edited:
"First set" kind of implies that you intend to spend money on something you know you will end up replacing, but if you are in a position to save more money I would recommend you do that and get it right from the start.

yeah the important thing is that you start working. you have to start somewhere. either get these or get something more expensive, but the main thing is that you listen closely and try to learn their strengths/weaknesses. even more important is that you try to make some good music with them.

I really suggest you save up for some monitors that you won't need to replace because you can't mix properly.. I don't think it's worth to buy monitors that you know you'll have to replace anytime soon. I bought my Yamaha HS50m 1 year ago and I have not regret it a second !
Good luck finding your monitors !

I started with, and still use my KRK rokit5s. While I know i will need to replace them eventually, they were perfect when i was starting out.

Back