m-audio axiom vs m-audio axiom air

ali-k

hello, this is my first post and i would like to hear what do you think of the following m-audio models as i am going to order one of them soon:

m-audio axiom air 49

• Keyboard controller with 49 expressive synth-action keys and aftertouch
  • 12 great-feeling trigger pads respond to pressure and velocity
  • Made for expressive performance: roll button aids in creating realistic drum parts
  • 8 rotary encoder knobs plus 9 long-throw 70mm faders with function buttons
  • 3 banks of pad and knob assignments with color-coded illumination
  • Selectable velocity curves to match any playing style plus assignable pitch bend and mod wheels

m-audio axiom 49

• It features 49 piano-style, semi-weighted keys giving musically satisfying playing experience
  • The 9 mixer-style faders and 8 smooth rotary encoders provides hands-on control over your DAW
  • Angled top panel and centrally positioned LCD gives better ergonomics on stage and in the studio
  • DirectLink mode provides automatically map onboard controls to DAW mixer paramenters and no complex setup required
  • Axiom Instrument Maps gives instant access to virtual instrument parameters for a hardware synth-like experience

i think i can do just fine on semi weighted keys but im not sure if they will effect my playing speed on first stages. but anyway i would like to to hear your thoughts focusing on the two unit's hardware, performance and durability. almost anything you know or experienced with any of these or both.

i am not allot of a keyboard player but i am willing to invest in this opportunity. i only can buy one of these as they are the only available brand and models. (would'v liked an akai mpk or a novation impulse to be on the option list but its not possible for me to get any of them).

music to be played are mostly: progressive/psychedelic/glam/power/hard rock/metal, i may need to do some piano/accordion and some traditional insts too. what i am looking for a is a controller that help record some backing/rhythm/fillings and lead lines. not sure if the the midi pads would serve me well with live drumming but i am more than willing to try (thats why i made sure to have them on the midi cont that i am getting).

cheers all, hope ill hear from you.

EDIT: these are the only m-audio units that i know of so if you know of similar products with almost the same features that you can recommend (it has to have AT, drum pads, wheels, faders and an lcd). just make sure its an m-audio. thanks.

Last edited:
i have found this table of feature comparisons and thought its worth posting, i know of most of the features below but not to stuff as the transport control and identity button.

M-AudioAxiom AIR 25Axiom AIR 49Axiom AIR 61Axiom AIR Mini 32Axiom 25Axiom 49Axiom 61Axiom Pro 25Axiom Pro 49Axiom Pro 61
Keys25496132254961254961
Semi-WeightedXXXXXXX
Synth ActionXXX
Velocity SensitiveXXXXXXXXXX
AftertouchXXXXXXXXX
Pads1612128888888
Velocity Sensitive PadsXXXXXX
Knobs8888888888
Sliders19919999
Assignable Buttons9959991212
Transport ControlsXXXXXXXXXX
Identify buttonXXXX