Lowcutting on the Master buss.

Pretty much the same thoughts as in that video - probably wouldn't usually do it, but if it sounds good, why not...

I tend to do a very gentle 30HZ cut with a wide Q to remove any unnecessary rumble, but still leave some behind so that it cuts through in the club.

This is a subject everyone seems to be varied opinions on. Experiment.

The problem is, I would love to experiment with that, but its not possible since I have Dynaudio bm5 MkII speakers and they cant produce low frequencies around that area, and to be safe I did what I heard was most common.
Plus it sounded logical to me, cause its out of the humans ear range and most speakers cant reproduce those frequencies. But now lately you hear more and more that you shouldnt low cut on your master.

So thats why I wanted to know what the experience of others is and maybe someone here has mixed in a professional studio and could here the low frequencies in details.

I wouldn't unless I needed too. If I'm mixing, I would have already made the specific cuts on each mixer channel before the master bus. The only exception for me would be if a plugin that I used a lot in a session created DC offset. Then I'll probably fix that on the master output to save time.

I wouldn't unless I needed too. If I'm mixing, I would have already made the specific cuts on each mixer channel before the master bus. The only exception for me would be if a plugin that I used a lot in a session created DC offset. Then I'll probably fix that on the master output to save time.

But thats the whole point. When is it ''needed''? Cause in 90% of the tracks im mixing, there is information below 30hz

If the content below 30 hz is useful, then don't cut it. If you feel that the audio is best without it, then see what a cut sounds like. It's hard to get specific since it's kind of up to personal preference and the audio you are working with.

For me, I make those decisions per track since I'm likely already EQing those channels. So for my own preference, there is never a need to cut the lows on the master channel. I also have a reference track in case I'm not certain about something like the issue presented in this thread.

i share the common opinion here. i clean up frequencies i dont want or need in the mixing progress on individual channels so there is no real need doing it afterwards.

You can do a lot of smart creative moves that can work well, but in my view hi pass filtering the whole mix is not one of them. The part about it that to me makes sense about this is to do a fairly broad scope of hi pass filtering in terms of how many sound sources should be affected, to remove unwanted modulation artifacts in the low end and free up mix headroom, but doing it on the whole mix will depending on the hi pass filter settings to some degree create a more boxy and unpleasantly tight type of sound.

But in my experience sound sources present in the side component should not have lots of low end rumble because it distracts the perception of the stereo image that is formed out of having the very low end frequencies present in the mid component and it makes the ears and brain a bit more fatigued when you have that modulation stuff close to the ears distracting the listening experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the vid. It was quite interesting… I'd actually assumed it was somewhat more common… Particularly as I se the direct benefits when doing offline processing of sounds (e.g. for creating samples).

e.g. is an old analog drum machine: *Kick*…. Offline I'll often see a big warbling sine like wave visually, right through the sound into the final parts of the decay. This effectively offsets the "real sound" from zero, inhibiting the overall loudness --> It'll also offset parts in a mix if not tamed… A cut as low as 20Hz will then snap this sound right down across the zero, allowing what I assume to be more power - not just soloed, but in the mix too.

I'll cover cuts in the mix only, but I admit - I kinda thought I would high pass if I was mastering my own tunes for a similar reason :)

I guess, with the video in mind, you should be able to get "the right" low end in the mix only (which is fortunately my current work flow anyway!)….

Thanks for sharing :)……….

Back