Low volume in FL Studio?

Mark Samuel

I'm having a problem where when I follow some Youtube tutorials on making tracks, although all my DAW settings appear to be the same the tutorials are louder. I always have this with the Max Braiman trance tutorials I follow. I use the exact same VSTs and the faders are in the exact same position, but my versions are quieter. I can hear it but also I can see that the level monitors on the mixer aren't peaking as high. Why is this and how can it be fixed? I'd assume that if you make a bassline with one synth and another person uses the same settings with the same synth then the volumes of your version and the original version would be the same.

He probably has a limiter on the master track just for listening purposes, you shouldn't do that though. If not on the master track, he's using a compressor the vst has or something you aren't seeing. If the volume is low, raise it. Put a limiter on the mixer track or just don't worry about it. This is silly.

During the production or mixing stage, don't worry about the volume. If you need things to be louder, use your actual volume knob. When I'd work on mixes, my physical monitoring level was usually pretty high. The advantage of this is that you won't find yourself clipping your digital levels when mixing. I think one of the worst things you can do is work on a mix and then halfway through it is find that your master is clipping and then you have to turn everything down. You can turn the master down also, but as a rule or thumb I never touch my master fader, especially I'm exporting and I'm doing a final product from that same project.

The only time you shouldn't use the physical knob is if your monitoring chain is noisy when you pull the volume up. A little noise should be okay but there is such thing as too much noise.

Youtubers tend to use a limiter on their master channels so you can listen to what they're doing.

Back