Lost my vibe?

RonTheDon

Started producing 8 months ago and totally lost my talent after a 3 months of sporadically trying to make another beat.

After finding Sytrus on FL Studios I had so much fun and created good melodies but now I am used to sytrus's presets (most of them are meant for techno,edm, type stuff it seems) but now I can't create a single okay song.

Thinking of getting nexus to help me get creative again with new melodies? is it worth it? Should i learn how to mess with the settings on sytrus to get the sound I want to use? Is that even possible or it limited?

EDIT: Also forgot that I just have my keyboard for now and my MIDI is at home because I could not transport it up to college.

Last edited:
I would try different synthesisers if you're interested in making your own sounds rather than the big preset bank which is Nexus.

You're producing for only 8 months. Search new tutorials on youtube, try different things, genres. C'mon, man. 8 months.

Sytrus is a synthesizer, can create most sounds you want.Nexus is a rompler, a sample playback plugin that has samples of synthesized audio.[Digital version of casio pianos basically]
Then you have hybrids like omnisphere and alchemy.
Then you have Modulars like zebra and reaktor/usine hollyhock.

Synths have enough flexibility to get A LOT of sounds so yes, learning how to use sytrus would help you.
Only switch from a synth if you do not like the workflow or design.

Started producing 8 months ago and totally lost my talent after a 3 months of sporadically trying to make another beat.

After finding Sytrus on FL Studios I had so much fun and created good melodies but now I am used to sytrus's presets (most of them are meant for techno,edm, type stuff it seems) but now I can't create a single okay song.

Thinking of getting nexus to help me get creative again with new melodies? is it worth it? Should i learn how to mess with the settings on sytrus to get the sound I want to use? Is that even possible or it limited?

EDIT: Also forgot that I just have my keyboard for now and my MIDI is at home because I could not transport it up to college.

I would also keep in mind that you don't have your midi keyboard. For me, I need that physical feel of a keyboard and/or push (I use Ableton) to make music. Sitting in front of my keyboard clicking shit in just leaves me uninspired and more troublesome for me. Having your keyboard could definitely make a difference.

It sounds like you're bored on your sounds. Totally common no matter how long you've been producing.

You need fresh inspiration. From the tone of your post, it sounds like perhaps you've been listening to different genres recently that the sounds just don't sync up with.

A few suggestions:

1) If you have the budget, then perhaps Nexus is a good way to go. While I personally feel very "meh" about it, some people love it. Many of the sounds are very simple to create, and they are often sound very similiar to one another with perhaps only a few truly usable sounds in each pack. On top of that, they charge quite a premium for each pack. (Which you're going to want quite quickly.)

You will also most likely fall into the same trap after a few months. You will want new sounds again and they will feel stale. Also as a note, many Nexus sounds also sound quite EDM / electronic in nature.

BUT that being said, I personally do have Nexus as well and I do pull it out every once in a while for sound inspiration. It has been the catalyst for a few superb tracks.

2) Look up sound design tutorials online for Sytrus. Begin to take hold of your command past presets and the world will open.

3) Find some new samples in general. New drums, loops, one shots, etc. Really try to find fresh inspiration and "forget what you know." Approach from a new perspective. Again, it sounds like you're bored on your sounds and need a fresh mind, so really try go get yourself into this place.

Push past this. Everyone goes through it... usually many multiple times. At the other end is your best track yet.

It sounds like you're bored on your sounds. Totally common no matter how long you've been producing.

You need fresh inspiration. From the tone of your post, it sounds like perhaps you've been listening to different genres recently that the sounds just don't sync up with.

A few suggestions:

1) If you have the budget, then perhaps Nexus is a good way to go. While I personally feel very "meh" about it, some people love it. Many of the sounds are very simple to create, and they are often sound very similiar to one another with perhaps only a few truly usable sounds in each pack. On top of that, they charge quite a premium for each pack. (Which you're going to want quite quickly.)

You will also most likely fall into the same trap after a few months. You will want new sounds again and they will feel stale. Also as a note, many Nexus sounds also sound quite EDM / electronic in nature.

BUT that being said, I personally do have Nexus as well and I do pull it out every once in a while for sound inspiration. It has been the catalyst for a few superb tracks.

2) Look up sound design tutorials online for Sytrus. Begin to take hold of your command past presets and the world will open.

3) Find some new samples in general. New drums, loops, one shots, etc. Really try to find fresh inspiration and "forget what you know." Approach from a new perspective. Again, it sounds like you're bored on your sounds and need a fresh mind, so really try go get yourself into this place.

Push past this. Everyone goes through it... usually many multiple times. At the other end is your best track yet.

Man, every time i read your responses they are so informative. :victory:

Back