Looking to get back into dj'ing for fun again

jagaloon

Hey all,

It's probably just the start of summer getting to me and most likely fueling this post but I've developed the biggest urge to get a small dj setup for myself again.

I've since sold all my gear minus my PA system and during that time I've picked myself up a Maschine MKII, a Novation Ultranova and have been reading many musical theory books, taught myself to play my synth and have generally been finding my own way while not trying to get discouraged or fed up with what I've made. Afterall this is for fun and a constructive release for me after I get home from work.

Producing has had a steep learning curve and I think I've been missing some of the "instant gratification" that comes from fiddling with entire tracks rather than trying to get into the groove and getting something going in my DAW or with Maschine.

It has only been a few years since I sold off my DJM-400 and CDJ-800's and now things are all controller based. There's a million and one posts regarding what should I buy, what is the best. What I'm looking for is longevity and stability that allows for the best creative freedom.

My CDJ-800's were fun, however the newer DDJ-SX or even the DDJ-SZ seem to add slicing/loops/pads while loosing the CD aspect. Most of the music produced today seems to all be MP3. While I'd love to pick up a DJM-900 and two CDJ-2000's that's a complete waste for someone like me who is a closet hobbyist and no longer plays commercially.

I guess in short what I'm asking is if it's the way the market is going, controllers are going to replace physical players and if I would be better served with a controller and learning how to use Serato or Traktor or try to find a decent used set of traditional CDJ's and a mixer? Something inside me says I don't want to be married or controlled by a software company like serato or traktor once they decide to drop support for a particular controller and then I'm forced to drop more money on something newer or shinier via planned obsolescence.

I'm 50/50 right now.

Back