Looking for ways to improve live commentary

InternetSandman

Hey guys, first forum post here, was looking around for audio engineering forums and found this site, it seems like a great place :)

I run a game streaming channel on Twitch and Youtube that broadcasts gaming tournaments online, and part of that involves live commentary of the games that are being played. Right now I just have a couple middle-of-the-road USB headsets for my commentators, but I really want to step up the quality of my stream and right now audio is my main priority

What I ultimately want is for my two commentators to be able to hear each other's voices, as well as audio from the game being played, in their headsets, ideally without also hearing their own voice as they speak. I also want to minimize the amount of ambient noise from the tournament venue that gets picked up by the mics. I've been looking at hardware that could potentially do this to some extent. Currently on my shopping list:

2 Audio Technica BPHS1 headsets
A Behringer Q802USB portable mixer
A Behringer HA400 portable headphone amplifier (the mixing board only provides one headphone output, so I would route that into this amplifier for both headsets)
and possibly an HDMI audio extractor to plug game audio into the mixer, so commentators can easily listen to the game

Currently, I use an Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme to capture game audio and video, but I'm not sure how to route the game audio through to the headsets. I'm also not sure how to let my commentators hear each other through their headsets without hearing their own voices. I'm also concerned that routing the game audio into the mixer would cause either interference/echoing if I don't mute game audio in OBS (my streaming client of choice) or a noticeable audio lag if I do mute the game audio.

I'm obviously not planning on purchasing anything until I have a concrete plan in place and I know that everything will work the way I intend it to. I just hope that it CAN work the way I intend. Any advice that you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

i do watch alot of cs go on twitch but im stuck on this one bro, hopefully theres a streamer / producer on here that does both and knows a good setup to allow u to achieve that environment. but my advice would be to probably reach out to a few other twitch commentators and see if you can get any to tell you their setup. just try to hit up a few on twitter when their not working (to avoid the flood tweets when they are live)

good luck bro

Back