Looking for a beginner recording microphone

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a mic to record vocals (singing, rapping, etc.) I want something cheaper than $100. But I am willing to pay slightly more. I want a USB one that I can connect right to the computer without any hassle. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mr. NewJackSwing

By saying you want one that is USB so there is no hassle I assume you do not have an audio interface to record? If not, cool. I would recommend looking for a used mic/interface. I wrote an article a few years back why USB mics are the devil.

Your going to get a few recommendations

1) Typical dynamic mic (Shure SM57, 58, Audix i5) These take lots of gain but sound great in untreated rooms as they don't pick up room noise like a condenser will. They aren't as detailed but that is a plus to keep the room sound out. you may have to CRANK the gain to get a decent volume.

2) Condenser (AT2020, MXL and other low end condensers) These are cool, but you'll need to hang some type of acoustic treatment to keep the room sound out of the recordings. Typically something as simple as a moving blanket hung around the vocalist can work.

As for interfaces, find an XLR to USB type for only 1 channel. Or look for a USB/Firewire interface if you want to go with something a bit more solid with more bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Listen to Obi and dont get sucked into the USB mic market. Yes they are easy to hook up and record... but in 3 years you will regret having one when you realize you can't upgrade around it. You'll then see it as a waste of money. $100 is $100. Spend it on something that you can upgrade around easily. Even if you get a cheap condensor... you can always get a good preamp later in life to at least bring the best out of that cheap condensor. You can't do this if you go the USB mic route. Plus... a cheap condensor will probably be a little bit better than a USB mic in that price range anyway, b/c the USB mic will have a cheap converter inside of it.

Exactly, and it locks you down to be stuck with that 1 mic. A separate mic and interface is the way to go.

Back