Looking at Audiophile 2496

byoonie

First off, I'm so glad I found this website (only two weeks ago). I've been learning a lot and it's great to see so many people helping each other out. I've always wanted to get into making beats and I had the perfect opportunity to start getting into it recently. With that said, I purchased a M-Audio Oxygen 25 and Reason 6. I'm using on-board sound and the MIDI controller is connected with USB. First thing I noticed was the delay in sound from when I press the controller key. I've been messing with the buffer and latency ratio and I was able to get it down to ~12 ms with no crackles/pops with ASIO4ALL installed, still using on-board sound.

Will a discrete sound card like the Audiophile 2496 help reduce the latency even more? One problem I'm having with ASIO4ALL is that it won't let me have sound on more than one program. So if Reason is open, Youtube or iTunes will not have sound. There was a fix for that but I don't want to go through extra steps if a discrete sound card can make it more simple.

The Audiophile 2496 looked pretty good, I can find it on eBay for about $60 w/ shipping. If there's anything better, I'm willing to spend up to $150 for a new card. Any input is greatly appreciated.

This is my PC:
Gigabyte LGA775 Intel G31 Micro ATX
Intel 3.0GHz Dual-Core (can't remember exact model)
320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Caviar Blue
4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800

Back