lfo question

cartwheel1984

Hi all! 2day iv been learning some crazy dubstep wobble type basses n crazy wavey leads using lfos, just by messing round with stuff! They sound cool if I do say so myself haha!

Just wanted to know is this all the lfo does (ie sort of wobble the notes) or can I do other cool things with it?

Enjoying my learning so far! Think I wanna start learning fx next or making better drums than just kick, hihat, clap n kick! One step at a time tho!

LFOs can be used to create movement on a "static" sound. when I'm doing my reeses, I normally put some lfo's to a double knot, or bandpass filters, so it gives that nice movement to the bass, for example.

Lol uv lost me a bit there with the double knot n bandpass? Can I link the lfo 2 them?

Cool beats by the way! Sounds dark n eerie at the start! I like it!

An LFO is a controller, so plug it into anything that you want to change with its function.

Lol uv lost me a bit there with the double knot n bandpass? Can I link the lfo 2 them?

Cool beats by the way! Sounds dark n eerie at the start! I like it!

I'm sorry, man! I think I was with the Massive synth on my mind when I wrote this. You have a set of filters you can apply to the sound coming from the oscillators, and two of them are the "bandpass" and the "double knot", and you can assign lfo's to them, to give the sound some movement.

and thanks! My songs are mostly made using errie ambient sounds, dark passages and such.

Cheers for explainin it a bit more Ddream! Ill have a play around with it when I get in from work n get practising assignin them to different things etc see what u can come up with! Cheers man!

Cheers for explainin it a bit more Ddream! Ill have a play around with it when I get in from work n get practising assignin them to different things etc see what u can come up with! Cheers man!

Keep in mind that Massive is a pretty flexible synth. you can do any sound you want with it. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube, from how to emulate strings to the screechiest of dubstep leads.

Try to put a saw wave through a filter. Put an lfo to the pitch of the oscillator and modulate it by about 3 octaves positively, put a bandpass filter on and modulate that with an lfo negatively by an amount of your liking. Make sure you do this with 2 different LFOs and play around with the rate of both, preferably using a controller with knobs. Then see what kind of sound you get. There are of course countless ways to use lfos. Some synths might even let you modulate an lfo with another lfo. You can put an lfo on a lot of things that you could think would sound good when changed a little over time. You can in most cases change how it moves too by selecting different waves. LFO stands for low frequency oscillators so it uses basic waveforms in most cases to modulate other parameters. Some may even let you draw in your own waveforms.

Last edited:
Back