Learning rhythm/beat-making

self-aware

I'd like to develop my beat-making skills, but don't really have any experience with drums.

Anyone recommend a book for non-drummers, or some online courses that would help with this?

I realize this next bit might be harder to come by, but I'd like to learn some of the rules for different styles as well, like trap, future bass, dubstep, etc., and how rhythm changes/evolves in different stages of tracks.

I've tried to remake other peoples tracks in order to try and learn how they've done it, but it's tough, and I feel like some theory/knowledge might be very helpful.

?That's the groove of the songs that's natural occurrence you listen to genres enough you automatically get the rhythm.
The technicals and such is a different matter but in general a mouse or midi device banging grooves and stuff it's just that.

Drills for anything like a 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 blah blah blah

Last edited:
Any of your friends drummers? I learnt what I know by learning from a drummer I went to school with.

If you can find a friend with a kit (or even take a few lessons from a drum tutor) you'll learn an awful lot very quickly.

Back