Kinda of confused and need some help

B

BlackoutTN

Hi everyone,

I've been researching for the past 24 hours and I'm not 100% on the answer.

I am looking to produce electronic music. I was initially going to go mainly software but now switching to hardware. I currently have an audio interface but it won't support what I need from it as far as inputs. I have a Waldorf Blofeld Desktop Synth and a M-Audio Oxygen 25 MIDI controller currently (connecting USB). I am using Sonar X1 Sequencing Software.

My question is this, I've been looking at audio interfaces via USB and mixers via USB but me and a friend aren't sure of something. I know MIDI only carries the notes played but does the 1/4 connections carry the actual sound over USB, for example, from my Blofeld, would it carry the sound and pattern to my sequencing software on my PC?

I know currently I have my blofeld going via USB and Sonar doesn't record the actual sound but it references my synth as far as the banks the sound is located in and during playback, its playing the sound off my synth. I'm not sure how to get it to actually record the sounds onto my sequencer. Currently through USB, its also the only way I can have multiple sounds playing from the synth at once (Blofeld can do up to 16 channels).

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1/4" connections will only carry the audio signal. You need both connections (MIDI and audio) to get both the MIDI information and audio.

Back