Keyboard Synth or VSTs?

CulpritT

Hello!
Looking to see if I need anything else with my home studio. I know synth keyboards have sounds built into them as opposed to what I use now(a mini midi keyboard), but is there a point of synth keyboards if you use VSTs besides the obvious hardware/software sound differences?
Appreciated!

Analog vs digital has been a long battled topic. I have used both, owned Roland fandom and a virus. Personally I prefer vst because of flexibility. When it comes down the final sound of a composition I would put it in this order (High quality samples and mixing) If you have high quality samples your mix game can really put you in another league. To answer you question it's just personal preference. Rick

I see! Yeah I've seen lots of debates regarding it. Wouldn't I also need to buy multiple Synth Keyboards for different sounds if i decided to go with hardware?

Moog is one of my favorite synths. No way to really get around using a mouse really especially in the mixing stage. IMO there are a handful of vsts that do a very good job emulating the hardware. Its kind of debating house phone vs iphone. Music is not excluded from the digital movement. Again its all personal prefence. In the end some form of hardware is still needed. OP thats also a good point, most hardware setups have multiple analog keyboards and modules/racks. Same with Vsts. Rick

In my opinion, hybrid modular where you control digital vst knobs with hardware knobs like nanokontrol2 or a bcr2000 and use a piano to play the notes.
These days one vst can create sounds that used to take multiple hardware synths excluding those godlike modular setups.

I see! I appreciate all the answers. I guess I'll stick with midi keyboards and use VST's until I can get enough money to try out a few synths. I mostly stick with the MPK49

Back