Keyboard and 2000XL Question

x_raided805

This will most likely sound like a noob question and I apologize but I recently got a 2000xl and have been trying to figure out how to play keyboard sounds into it. Ive looked at some multisample for a solution but then I came across a video of Dream making a beat on the MPC60, playing the Fantom straight into the MPC and I was wondering how that is done exactly...I've been looking on a couple different sites and haven't really came across a straight forward answer.

Skip to :50 and you will see what I'm trying to get at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uXe6Y9wv0k

Only way to get the sounds in to your mpc is to sample them.

Didn't watch the video, but Dream has connected Fantom to his MPC with MIDI. Mpc midi out to Fantom midi in, Fantom midi out to mpc midi in.

You can find it in your manual.

Last edited:
Ight so I'm using the 2000xl with a Yamaha DJX keyboard and I'm running two midi cables like jyri said and i can get the play/stop button of the DJX to control the 2000xls play/stop but the issue im havin now is that whenever i do that (or vice versa) the shitty preset songs on the DJX play as well and i cant figure out how to turn them off so I can play bass/keys/horns etc. if i start messing with the so called menu on the djx, it will stop the presets from playing and also stop it from controlling the 2000xl...is anyone familiar with that keyboard or that issue?

not for the keyboard, i got it from someone that found it in their attic. i did find the manual for it once...ill see if i can locate it. but if i get everything running right, would i just record the keyboards audio into the mpc or when i got to track out into pro tools, keep the voice setting the same on the keyboard?

You'd probably want to trigger your keyboard with your mpc and record the keyboard's sounds straight to your pro tools. The preset songs starting to play in your keyboard would be a problem though.

The other way would be to sample sounds from your keyboard, create loops from them and create a program with auto chromatic assign. Then you could use your keyboard to play them in your mpc.

Last edited:
I'd I got my mpc triggering the keyboard sounds using "midi" instead of "drums" but i was having some issues with triggering keys and bass in the different tracks but i think it got it working. not i just have to find a way to record everything into protools bc im use trying to save he keyboard patch info is not going to be fun/easy

First of all, make sure your MPC is master. You then want to make sure you have your midi channels assigned correctly for each synth/keyboard part that you want to add. You want the midi channel set on your MPC to correspond with the channel set on your DJX. I'm sure it's not hard to figure out even if you don't have a manual. Once that's done, just record a segment. Then set another midi channel on your mpc and your keyboard and do it again. Then play it back. You should hear both of them playing. You shouldn't need to press play or anything like that on your djx...When the MPC is playing back you don't need to press anything on your keyboard, unless you wanna do pitch bends, modulation or tweak some knobs.

Back