just got a mpc 2000xl..helppp!!!!

soulone1

just went from a mpc 1000 to a 2000xl , and im a bit confused how to start making my beats how i used to with my 1000. first of all the cf card reader is internal and i noticed theres no where to select to load or save to cf..just sci, from, and floppy..im guessing i have to upgrade the mpc since its version now is 1.14.. .so do i just get a hard disk external drive from the thrift shop and load it up? ....how do i put the new version on the mp?

and also..when i sample i want to make each pad cut off the next..kinda confused how to do that with the 2000xl...its not as simple as the 1000. guess i have to keep practicing with it..if anyone can give me some advice and begginers tips that would help alot

want to pick up where i left off

im guessing i have to upgrade the mpc since its version now is 1.14..
Yes. I take it that the previous owner installed the cf card reader. Kind of strange that he didn't upgrade the OS as it has to be updated before installing the reader.. You will need to switch back to floppy or try with an external scsi drive (or an scsi CD drive) to upgrade the OS to 1.20. You can dl it from here: MPC2000XL

And to make a pad cut off the previous one, go to the program, choose pad you wish to mute something off, go to params -> overlap and push open window. Then hit the pad you want the current pad to mute off. You can set one pad to mute off two other pads in the program. There isn't a way to make all pads cut eachother off, if that's what you're looking for.

hey thanks, still getting ahang of this beast. but i like the feel. got to find a scsi drive..i know ive seen them at thrift stores for cheap. another thing..for programs you can only use 4 at once? right? when i record a track, i go onto track 2 with a new program and it autamically switches track one from program 1 to the new program i select from track 2.. weird..i think i made it work by putting one program on drum 1 and the next program on drum 2 ..but that would meen u can only use 4 programs at once right???...if so..gonna have to get creative hah...thanks alot

You should be able to use all 4 programs, different programs to different tracks. In Main Screen, move cursor on S: DRUM whatever and spin the data wheel to switch the program.

Depending on what type of card reader you have, I'd stay with OS1.14. I have 1.14c wit ha microtech PCD-47B reader on my 2KXL so on my 8GB flash card I can read/write to all 8 partitions=987Mb each partition. OS1.2 won't let you do this.

Last edited:
i have an addonics reader. with 1.14. didnt know there was version 1.14c??..but yea with my reader and 1.14 theres no selection to load from the card, like know atapi or whatever

You might have to upgrade to OS 1.2 then for the ATAPI/IDE card reader.
Did you check the power and ribbon cable connections of the card reader on the inside of your 2000XL? They might be loose or disconnected.

Last edited:
Back