Johnny Juliano - Wav Pirate FL Studio Tutorials: Mixing (Levels)

FeloneusSupremeProd

FP Official Threadkiller
Johnny Juliano - Wav Pirate FL Studio Tutorials: Mixing (Levels) Link 2 6 JJ drumkits

I don't have one but check in on his twitter every so often. Someone asked him "why are you being so nice??" as in why are you helping people. He replied "I'm tired of urban music not having a community, EDM producers have tons of tutorials , forums, etc.. Urban music is filled with ignorance. If no one else will take responsibility to teach people, I will."

He also dropped this GEM! Thats right free drumkit. That was some cool sh!t. Johnny Juliano ‏@JohnnyJuliano All 6 of my drumkits (FREE DL) | Link - http://www.*********.com/pro/dl/wevcvo | Equality will be granted, #WAVPiRATES

*Just a suggestion: If you DL the kits and have a twitter follow him as a way to pay him back.

Last edited:
lol finally maybe ppl will learn now. Ive been making tutorials like this too lately but he obviously has a further reach than me

lol finally maybe ppl will learn now. Ive been making tutorials like this too lately but he obviously has a further reach than me

JJ quote from his page "Once I start dropping this video series, I guarantee it will help the community in general immensely. All I ask in return is respect :)"

now if he starts putting shit out about the actual business side....wheeeewww..

if he was smart he would tease us with this channel and offer paid courses. Maybe hes going for the partner route....who knows

now if he starts putting shit out about the actual business side....wheeeewww..

if he was smart he would tease us with this channel and offer paid courses. Maybe hes going for the partner route....who knows

Troup always talks about setting up revenue from something other than just selling beats so that would make sense.

Last edited:
The metronome isn't a bad idea but to be honest. Lowering all your channels to mute and turning your speakers all the way up and mix from there, will be your best bet. It give you better dynamics...

Troup always talks about setting up revenue from something other than just selling beats so it makes sense.

oh yeah im ALWAYS thinking of ways to diversify. Thats the only way to be in any industry whether we're talking music production or the stock market. Plus half these artists wont pay for beats anyway lmao

Not hating on JJ for doing this, but I don't think his decision to start doing these videos and give all his drum kits out for free was just an act of random kindness/generosity. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that him and Vybe were beefing a couple days ago, because Johnny put out a free drum kit that were apparently actually chops of some of Vybe's sounds. I think Johnny was overreacting about something he thought Vybe did that Vybe actually wasn't doing.

In other words I'm not sure if he'd be doing any of this if none of what I just said had happened, but hey more power to him.

Lord knows I jumped on those drum kits lol

Last edited:
Good Tutorial Though Producers Should Find There Own Way To Mix Their Stuff To Get Their Own Sound. iHad Most Of The Drum Kits But Him Posting It For Free Wasn't That Much Of A Surprise Cuz 95% Of Producer Had Them Downloaded For Free Anyway, iWould Wanna See What Other Tutorials He Drops, Such As The Business Side Of Things

The one thing that must be understood and is where people fail is "actually understanding the soundstage" of their production. A good mix is not determined by hearing all of your sounds in it's own space.......that is the one thing that gets stuck in people's head because everyone seems to teach in that way. But if you don't understand your "soundstage" you will still not be satisfied with your mix no matter how you set your levels.And it takes a while to understand it.....even longer if you went so long without understanding it. Your soundstage is you mentally seeing where your sounds are in the stereo field. So now you know not to turn something down....instead you are putting it in the background. You are not turning it up.....you are bringing it forward in the mix. You are not adding reverb to make it sound all peerty....but to give a sense of illusion that it is behind another sound or further back in your soundstage. You are not cutting frequencies to make room.....you are cutting them to bring them infront of or behind a sound that it is near. It is YOUR SOUNDSTAGE. Understanding your own personal soundstage is the one loophole around mixing with headphones.....(as people stress not to mix with headphones because they heard someone stress not to mix with headphone who heard from a guy who is about 70 years old who was a mixing engineer since the first EQ was invented). Soundstage is the importance in mixing. I can make a ruff mix sound decent without serious mixing because I understand my soundstage...and can do it with headphones alone. But I would rather "see" the soundstage as I stare into it with the speakers and other speakers as well.

Now......his tut was more for FL users. For anybody else.....it is a good idea to trim (or turn up or down your sounds from the source and not the mixer) til everything (even the drums) peaks at around -12 to -20db (just to start for example). Their is a difference between turning a sound down and putting it in the background...in this case we are giving it more or less meter juice in the mixer. You are doing this from the source of the synth........ meaning you have a synth and added some effects to it.....o.k.... now bypass all of the effects so the synth is playing without effects...then adjust the level. Once it is hitting (-18 for me for example) then turn on the first effect going into the synth and adjust the level again...for example if it is a compressor then no matter what I've done on the compressor I will adjust the OUTPUT til the levels are hitting -18db again instead of it being -10 or -30db. I do the same thing with everything. I'm preparing my soundstage.

Now....I'm using the faders on the mixer to create my soundstage. I want my kick to the front then I don't mess with it. I want those little noises to be in the background then I pull the faders down til the feel like where I want them. Panning is a matter of taste IMO. Because you want your mix to sound good in mono also....so it is up to your imagination to where you want them on the soundstage.

When you record vocals, it's best to set up your sounds in the same way......like you are tracking them from a real synth or a drum machine.

Last edited:
This Tutorial is a ****in joke. Show that metronome thing to a serious engineer and he will laugh his ass off. The only reason why he's doing is for promotional reasons. If you want real mixing advice go check out Pensado's Place.
Pensado's Place - Learn how to produce, record, mix, and master music and audio

I been putting out Tutorials and helpfull stuff for producers for the last few years on my website ... You dudes won't learn it anyway though. Y'all happy with a wack ass Fruity loops tutorial

Last edited:
Back