Jimmy Iovine Will Tell You What Music You Want...

j.troup

With Beats, Jimmy Iovine — Not Facebook — Will Tell You What Music You Want

“There’s an ocean of music out there,” said iconic engineer, record producer and Beats CEO Jimmy Iovine.

“And there’s absolutely no curation for it.”

This is a familiar pitch from Iovine, who comes from the “old school” of the music industry. It’s the tastemaker school of thought; labels, producers and music vetsknow what the public wants to listen to before the public even knows itself.

But, as Iovine discussed at our D: Dive Into Media conference on Tuesday, times have obviously changed. The compact disc happened. Napster happened. Spotify, iTunes, Facebook happened. Essentially, technological change happened.

While times have indeed changed, Iovine doesn’t think the old ways are entirely dead. His proof positive comes in the form of Beats, the massively popular line of high-end headphones that he’s managed to sell at a premium to millions of kids who were once satisfied with low-grade, Apple-produced earbuds.

He has managed to turn the tides of the headphone hardware industry with his ways, and believes he can do it again with his forthcoming Beats music subscription service.

The main sell? Just what he has always been able to do well: Curation. Iovine plans to blend a mix of human music curators alongside smart algorithms to serve up a better way to listen to music. A “guide” that doesn’t haveto be used to listen, but one that Iovine believes we’re better off using.

Who can’t do this sort of thing, according to Iovine? All the players that are currently trying to.

“Everyone … really struggles to get the absolute right kind of music for where you’re going,” he said onstage in conversation with Walt Mossberg. “Apple knows a lot about your music taste. Google knows a lot. Facebook. But no one is using it to curate.”

Indeed, the major pitch from tech companies over the last few years has been the power of technology blended with social; we’ll be better served by the recommendations of friends and automated algorithms, both smarter than the tastemakers of the past.

Obviously, Jimmy isn’t down with that.

“Who doesn’t know what song comes next is your best friend on Facebook,” Iovine said. “When you put that record on, you don’t want somebody guessing … somebody has gotta be interacting, building real music and serving it up for you.”

Can Iovine upend the music industry yet again? There are many subscription services in the space, and aside from the smart, curated “guides,” Iovine’s Beats service doesn’t sound terribly different from the existing players.

But for now, Iovine is playing it close to the chest. He’ll let you know when he’s ready for us to start listening.

So Jimmy, you're "big idea" is further pimping the boutique "BEATS" brand that you manufactured, and using it to sell glorified "Streaming Top 40 Radio?"

C'mon. "Curators" are the reason that we're in the mess that we're in. It's nothing but a ploy to put the gatekeepers back in power.

You may have a SMALL point concerning curators, insofar as weeding out the CRAP. But for the most part, you're looking to gain control of the music back.

The cream rises to the top, eventually.

Power to the people.

Discuss...

Last edited:
They can't control the new distribution streams and it's hurting them.

in 2013 people are no longer opening a magazine, watching mtv or going to best buy.

They are looking through youtube, paying attention to the conversations on facebook/twitter and buying music off itunes.

Jimmy, my man, lol... your time is up and so is your industry.

Your analysis is pretty spot on. I see no difference between what his "currator" platform provides, and that of a program director at a local radio station. Both guys "judge" what they deem to be hits and play that music on rotation. Now Jimmy's argument could be that his currator's are in fact better judges of music than program directors, but he's missing the point of social. My friends and social group are much more likely to influence my taste in music than some guy living thousands of miles away who knows absolutely nothing about me, my social network, or the area that I live in. It's ridiculous to assume that any number of currators could judge what a massive amount of people (with varying tastes) will want to listen to. In the end, they'll likely play the averages and play top 40.

The other issue is signing deals with all the publishers to play their music on his platform. Imagine if Jay Z said no, Beyonce said no, Red Hot Chili Peppers said no. The hardest part is getting artists and publishers on board.

So Jimmy, you're "big idea" is further pimping the boutique "BEATS" brand that you manufactured, and using it to sell glorified "Streaming Top 40 Radio?"

C'mon. "Curators" are the reason that we're in the mess that we're in. It's nothing but a ploy to put the gatekeepers back in power.

You may have a SMALL point concerning curators, insofar as weeding out the CRAP. But for the most part, you're looking to gain control of the music back.

The cream rises to the top, eventually.

Power to the people.

Discuss...

It may very well be another plot by the industry but Jimmy Iovine is largely responsible for Hip Hop's longevity. We live in a capitolistic society, so you can't blame the rich for wanting more riches. All of us creative individuals will always be just that.

He is kind of right...(what's with hat ugly cap though)

The problem is that people are lazy so when radio was the big thing, they would just get their "new music" update served. And people used to spend more time on music blogs etc.
Now it is on twitter that people get most of their music info since people follow most of their favourite artists or follow people who follow those favorite artists. Not sure they are used to being curated anymore. Success is somewhat nore organic but on single songs basis.

That, plus the fact that there are so many unsigned artists nowadays... while the number of medium to promote them really dwindled (and twitter is not good for Lambda artist promotion...)

So what I mean is that, you have more artists and less "relevant to people" promotional channels. That's the problem as I see it.

Iovine just wants to recreate some kind of radio rebranded as a new kind of promotional channel. Curated maybe by "internetz djzzz". People tried to get you to listen to your friends playlist but ain't none of my friends who know music as much as I do. Maybe I could become a curator lol...
I also think that curating will not work. People are now used to organic virality. It could help a little for a few upcomers though. I am not sure for instance that TheWeekend would have had that much recognition without his association with Drake. Curators are going to be those guys who have the actual musical power.

Although soundcloud is going onto this trajectory slightly as well with their new interface.

Last edited:
Doesn't iTunes Genius already do this?

So instead of advertisers running the playlists, he suggests having other people, with other agendas, to run the playlists. Kind of a lateral move, I think. It's not ok for person A to tell you what to listen to, but it's ok for person B to tell you? And just wait until advertisers get on the Beats Network... THEY've been paying for music radio airtime longer than this new service will have been around. They know what THEY want.

"What you listen to may or may not be crap, but what I want you to listen to is certainly not crap, even though you might think it is, but I'm going to tell you it's not, so believe me." Now who is saying that?.. the traditional formats, or Iovine? Could be either one.

Noble cause, but this isn't a solution. It's just the wolf dressed in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:
The agenda is to make as much money as possible. Always was, is and will continue to be.

Back