james lavelle

C

colinjames

hey all-

just a ? regarding a james lavelle set i saw, in which he played this amazing drum solo and then some sort of soulish track with the lyrics "get ready, cos here i come" it was really wicked, and i was wondering if it sounds familiar to anyone...

c

"Get Ready" by either the Supremes, the Temptations, Rare Earth or any other of the countless Motown artists who've covered it. Most likely Rare Earth, it seems like a Lavelle move to make.

it never ceases to amaze me how much all of you know :) anyways, it was a cool tune and id like to pick it up.

colin

There's a 4CD box set called Hitsville USA 1958-71 or something like that where you can probably find 3 versions of "Get ready" with different artists. Check it out, or buy any Motown compilation out there, it's most certainly there in some version.

Diversity!

I'm actually not familiar with 'Get Ready' as named by the title, but I'm positive if I heard it I'd know it..

..nevertheless, it is awesome to hear there are some other Motown-appreciators out there. Early stuff [early Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5 even] is unbeatable and so influential. A music junkie roommate/friend of mine knows SO much about classic rock, any band, any artist, anyTHING.. he shed so much light on the entire Motown scene, as well as other early labels that spawned so much music to date.

Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life', as anyone else will tell you, is a major major key record, and has been sampled about seven million times [respectfully and disgustingly] by everyone from hip-hop artists to house to RnB, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to say how kool it is that this music is appreciated by us 'techno ****ers' that supposedly have no depth in music [according to so many clueless people out there]. A kid last week stopped in a store my buddy works at. He was playing the Byrds, and the kid sarcastically said 'good music' to which my buddy said 'yeah, thanks'. The kid told him he was kidding--that he likes some 'oldies', but he mainly listens to 'electronic' music [probably just the Prodigy and Atari Teenage Riot]. My buddy went on to skool him on the origins of electronic music, leaving the punk clueless on a lot of subjects he thought he was educated in.. anyways.. yeah.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!

[just a little bit]

My 5 Motown (Tamla/Motown/Gordy/Soul/VIP/Anna) faves of all time:

1. Stevie Wonder "As"
2. Carl Bean "I Was Born This Way"
3. Diana Ross "I'm Coming Out"
4. Frank Wilson "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" - only 2 copies known to exist!!
5. Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On"

As evident in the "what do you listen to"-post, I've got a pretty broad taste in music, and I feel kinda awkward when people behave like that kid you were talking about. Good music is always good music, no matter the style or genre.

Some of my faves, in no particular order.. including non-motown hits.

--Stevie Wonder - If You Really Love Me
--Smokey Robinson - Tracks of My Tears
--Smokey Robinson - Tears of a Clown
--Jackson 5 - ABC
--Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
--Edwin Starr - War [what is it good for?]
--Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing
--Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On
--Minnie Ripperton - Loving You
--Minnie Ripperton - Les Fleurs
--Temptations - Love can be Anything [can't nothin be love but love]
--Temptations - Smiling Faces Sometimes
--Curtis Mayfield - Freddy's Dead
--Curtis Mayfield - Pusherman
--Carlos Santana - Lava
--Carlos Santana - Marbles
--Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

..many, many, manymanymany more.

I know I got kinda carried away, listing a bunch of different stuff, but it's all SO good!

Like.. howabout the Stax record label?

Werd.

Yeah, those are some classic tunes!

As for the Stax label, yes - definitely! The whole Stax catalogue was what got me into soul music in the first place.

Six super Stax trax:

1. William Bell "I Forgot To Be Your Lover"
2. Otis Redding "Hard To Handle"
3. Otis Redding "I Can't Turn You Loose"
4. Booker T & The MG's "Melting Pot"
5. Eddie Floyd "Things Get Better"
6. Johnnie Taylor "Who's Making Love"

Back