J dilla

digidoc

I've been listening to J Dilla and I like some of his beats but I wanna know Dilla is called a 'genius'.. Not that I don't think he is but I wanna know what are some innovative things that Dilla did and that sort.
I know kanye and pharrell are inspired by Dilla.. and if somebody can tell me Dilla inspiration in their style of production.. that'd be great too

I don't know if there's one specific thing, but he really helped beatmaking move to the next level with his use of sidechaining, filters, innovative sampling/chopping, and staggered somewhat off-beat drums and hi-hats.

A dude I look up to, looks up to dilla. Dilla, I like how he doesn't use quantize. That's pretty hard to do, especially if 3ms latency is the lowest you can achieve on a computer :/ I heard mpcs and mv8000 have absolutely no latency, I hope that's true. Imagine plugging a padkontrol into one of those, omfg.

I don't know if there's one specific thing, but he really helped beatmaking move to the next level with his use of sidechaining, filters, innovative sampling/chopping, and staggered somewhat off-beat drums and hi-hats.

Can you share a bit more abt his innovative sampling/chopping? I hear this a lot when I hear somebody talk about Dilla but b/c I just write rather than use samples in my production that I don't fully grasp how creative Dilla is with sampling..

He often used filters and tiny chops to take out unwanted sounds and then filled the space with other tiny chops so it sounded continuous, like it was a simple loop. When other people try to recreate the sound, they often have trouble getting it to sound like him because he was so meticulous in reshaping the sample. Here's one example from a post on Future Producers.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...d-digging/how-did-j-dilla-chop-sample-485800/

If you listen really close, you'll notice how the fluttering synth is not very present and the guitar line underneath is much more simple and in time. On the surface, it sounds like a fairly simple beat with some nice sounding drums but if you try to flip the sample yourself, you'll run into a lot of issues with the synth and guitar getting in the way and ruining the vibe. Not only will they sound too prominent in comparison to the keys, the guitar part has a repetitive vibe that you wouldn't get unless you chopped it up in the same way/order that he did.

I think a big part of it is that most people don't have the ear to get from point A to point B, but it's easy to pick out after you hear the beat and sample. When looking at a Dilla beat, you can see what he did, but it's rare that somebody (back then) would have thought to flip the sample just like he did.

Yea he would chop stuff up so tiny it would be like doing a puzzle blindfolded then put it back in a different way that actully sounded musical. If you want to really see how hard it is go chop a loop up into 32nd notes then make something awsome out of it

It's because, what people consider the norm now was what he was doing back when mostly nobody was doing it.

He influenced the hip hop community to sample differently.

It's like they say, dj premier samples small part, pete rock had the soul, Dre had the hard drum, etc , Dilla managed to put their styles in his work without doing it badly.

Back