It's Getting Harder To Defend Hip Hop

This world is huge......hip hop is one way the world relates as ONE! That's a huge positve right there.

That's where our "focus" should be.....

Websites like this one is a prime example. I'm a up and coming artist/songwriter/producer having fun arguing with guys form other parts of the states, and have people from overseas who thank me. People from all over the world who enjoy my music. I would only have a few people around the way enjoy it.

But guess who is steps ahead of me and others? The people who wants the money, attention, fame, ect....A LOT MORE THAN US. That's not to say we don't want those things at all because WE ALL WOULD BE LYING.......just we don't want it more than THEM. And that's more of the problem than what state we are in. But if we focused less on WHO IS GETTING THE BUTTERS.....we would see hip hop on the grand level that it is.

It's on US. We have to step our game up. The underground is the most powerful force in the WORLD! When we realize that, then we are FOCUSED......less on those who want the butters MORE. Because they will definitely outdo US in anything that we do.....because of the amount of LOVE they have for what IT brings....if WE FOCUS ON THEM!!

law of attraction......

Last edited:
Granted I only read part of the article, because on the whole I can't take the premise completely seriously. Its a premise that's nearly 40 years old by now.

Since the beginning of time, critics and outsiders have felt hip hop was vulgar and dangerous. They always said hip hop was hyper violent, misogynistic, drug addled, and dangerous. They feared that the acceptance of hip hop would raise a generation of drug dealers and murderers and destroy a generation.

All these assertions weren't true then and they aren't true now. The fact is that what goes on outside of hip hop is always a matter of the economy, crime prevention methods, and politics.

As far as flagging sales. Sales are down across the board. If your not named Taylor Swift, your not going Platinum. Its not possible. Where are the CD players? Why buy a CD when there are NO CD players. There's not one on new laptops, less and less new cars have them, there are no walkman's in store. There are no CDs. MP3s are easily downloaded for free, and more and more people see no reason to own the music all together and just stream it.

The demo that Hip Hop often caters too is also the Demo more likely to download. Young teens and middle aged people who are savvy enough to use a computer. Taylor Swift fans are pre-teens with parental protections on their devices and soccer moms who still actually own CD players and don't know how to download anything without getting a virus. Its an apples and oranges comparison.

Hip Hop still makes a positive impact across the Globe. Its about independence, its about Blatant disregard for authority, its about democratic ideas about what's hot and what's not within our genre. We don't have to train under a classical pianist to get respected and recognized, we dont have to go to Julliard. In your basement, you can make a global anthem. Hip Hop was among the music played in the Arab spring and protests across the world. Hip hop has sprinkled its influence into all the dance music that the world is obsessed with now. Half the DJs in the EDM scene are either Hip Hop DJs first or have explicitly worked with Hip hop figures. Alot of artists came up listening to Hip Hop, even the aforementioned Taylor Swift listens on occasion. Hip Hop is forever etched into the world. Hip Hop begat street artists like Banksy, whose painted street art on the Separation Barrier of Israel, It begat near billionaires like Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, it begat a TV channel like Diddy's Revolt, its had a profound influence on Fashion houses like Ricardo Tisci and Givenchy.

If you only listen to what's on the radio and what may come up at 1 oclock am on one of the many MTV channels, then you may think its hard to defend hip hop. But if you only open the newspaper or randomly browse google, you will see Hip hop colored into everything. It basically raised the millenial generation. It blurred race barriers and genres. It's not hard to defend hip hop.

Last edited:
^^^ Dope post. Like u said that's a played out view.
There is so much music out there its crazy.
I can't believe people judge the state or quality of the music based on radio today.

who even wants this technology?? I dont want it...

As far as flagging sales. Sales are down across the board. If your not named Taylor Swift, your not going Platinum. Its not possible. Where are the CD players? Why buy a CD when there are NO CD players. There's not one on new laptops, less and less new cars have them, there are no walkman's in store. There are no CDs. MP3s are easily downloaded for free, and more and more people see no reason to own the music all together and just stream it.

The demo that Hip Hop often caters too is also the Demo more likely to download. Young teens and middle aged people who are savvy enough to use a computer. Taylor Swift fans are pre-teens with parental protections on their devices and soccer moms who still actually own CD players and don't know how to download anything without getting a virus. Its an apples and oranges comparison.

Absolute foolish generalizations like this are why hip-hop is not going to be relevant in the next 10 years. Hip-hop will be underground like Jazz and Rock. Hip-hop artists are not going Platinum because the product is not relevant enough for the people consuming music. Sorry, the whole "hip-hop is going to change the world" trend has come and gone.

^^^I disagree. I say the "charts".........billboard format is actually the thing that's going to disappear....real soon. When Harlem Shake hit #1 on billboard....that was an easy sign. People are making it on the chart easy today. Having number albums but are not selling like a "number 1" album.....and these are HIP HOP artist. Odd Future can say they hit number 1 numerous times on the billboard. Billboard is beginning to not mean anything. And hip hop is so dead gum huge that Katy Perry was killing the rap/R&B charts...............yeah.........I'll give it 5 - 10 years......

On the other hand........the so called "underground hip hop" continues to grow more and more fans from the spare of the moment spurts of hilariousness to the rappers speaking on awareness of the world.

My dude.....we are about to experience the true power of the UNDERGROUND real soon. So I do agree with that point. Because the truth of it is happening NOW! Just not as impactful as YOU may notice....but it will be and has to happen.

Shit is changing on a level people are not ready for yet.......still....but they will be.

Last edited:
Back