Issues with cubase 3 and midi controller.

Heya! Ive been using cubase for years! I moved to a new location and had to get everything all set back up so i can get "back to business" However, everything is good to go... however my midi controller (alesis Q25, usb) does not seem to be accepting commands from cubase. when I play a note directly on the controller, I hear the sounds from my synthesizer, and I also see the midi in and out levels jumping up and down as they should, but when i insert notes in the key editor i hear nothing. and then when i TRY to play back the notes ive inserted into the key editor i hear nothing as well. however.... when i play the key editor the midi out level is the only one jumping.

NOTE: when I create a midi track, the left panel says midi in:usb audio device, and midi out: usb audio device. These are the way things have always been, so im kinda at loss for words with trying to figure this out. Its going on three months now that I have experimented and played with the settings in cubase with no luck... so now im reaching out for some help!!! Anyone have this problem in the past, or is there anyone that is a MASTERCLASS at cubase?? Ive got deadlines coming up and there is just no way I can make this happen without having MIDI!

Thanks for all your time and knowledge in advance!

( windowns xp, alesis Q25, Access Virus C synth.)

Billy

You gotta plug your alesis into your computer thru midi interface to play the keyboard and record its information.

Describe more of your computer:audio?,midi?

Thanks for the reply, Im actually aware of that... again this is the same equipment ive used for quite some time with no issues.... alesis is connected to the computer via USB. A midi cable from the out on the back of the midi controller, to the "in" on the back of the virus c synthisizer. and then audio cables coming from the synth and into the mixer. If i press keys on the midi controller it plays the synth fine and the midi in and out levels are jumpin in cubase as they should, but cubase should be making sounds as i insert notes in the key editor but it does not, .. when i try to use the "key editor" in cubase nothing happens.....except for the fact that the midi out level is jumpin in cubase like its getting some type of action.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

You gotta plug your alesis into your computer thru midi interface to play the keyboard and record its information.

Describe more of your computer:audio?,midi?

the alesis is a usb midi keyboard, meaning that it is the interface.

The only thing I can think of is that something has changed when you reconnected your gear, have you plugged your devices back into the original USB ports you had them set up on?

Everything is working as it should. The midi out of the Q25 is to play an external synth or module, or sequencer. That's why it works to trigger the synth. But the Q25 won't relay notes from Cubase to your synth. You would have to get a separate midi interface, set the midi out on the track to that midi interface, and connect the midi interface output to the synth input.

Back