Is Rap Getting Dumber Or Is It The Consumer?

jahzrealbeatz

Is Rap Getting Dumber Or Is It The Consumer?

It seems like anyone can blow up off music nowadays. The biggest consumers of music are kids, they are the ones deciding what artist is hot and trending. Hip hop has become a popularity contest and its all about marketing and image now. Is it the music that rappers are making, or is it the consumers that want a dumb down sound?

Buy Rap beats for sale

I would say it's both. The consumers just want to have fun and party because this is what society wants from them (I see the way society is now as an illusion created by the "elite" as a form of control and brain washing). On the other hand, the artists are being forced to do this type of music. They are slaves to the industry, and if they want to get paid, they have to conform and follow the agenda of the "elites". I wouldn't say that the consumers decides who's hot or not, they are rather being force fed new artists rapping about the same garbage every couple of months with a few chosen ones that have some type of longevity.

You're right about the image thing tho, it seems that now ppl are more focus on how an artist dresses, and personal life rather than their music. It kinda makes sense if you think about it. Since they all rap about the same topics, with the same type of beats, and the same flows (with some small variations from an artist to another), the only way they can be different is with their image.

Everything that is going on in rap (not hip hop) right now is a small part in a waaay bigger agenda that I won't get into because it goes really deep into the rabbit hole lol. To come back to the argument you're making tho, yes consumers are becoming dumber, but it's not their fault. They're being conditioned to think and act a certain way. They are not able to think for themselves anymore.

One more thing about hip hop that most ppl don't see is the fact that what is considered "real hip hop" nowadays is not even real hip hop. Yes it's better than mainstream garbage, and is a more respectable art form, but I personally see it as just a more advance style of rap. For it to be real hip hop, KNOWLEDGE must be incorporated in the rhymes. Without the knowledge you just have rap.

Here's an example of what I think is real hip hop from one of my favorite MC's. Pretty much sums up everything I said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke on this in the other thread...it all boils down to taste and point of reference.

If you been eatin shit all your life from the beginning of your life up to present day... okay lets not be extreme and say shit, lets say McDonalds.
If you been eatin McDonalds all your life and you get excited and mouth watery as soon as you see golden arches and then someone approaches you with the best tasting healthiest home cooked meal, there's a chance that you could eat it and never want to touch McDonalds ever again in your life.

And then there's the chance that you can say "phuk dat home cooked shit, where dem McNuggets at"? Now switch it around...if you grew up on home cooked meals all your life, there's a chance you may cringe at the very smell of McDonalds. If you knew what was actually in it, you may even want to protest. Or you may try McDonalds and say "this is ok, once in a while".

With hip hop its the same. Its about taste and point of reference.

Back