Is it worth it?

Dangerman

Hi all, been producing for a while.

I'v recently started to gather Hip Hop artists email addresses and send them a few of my beats to get a start in the 'game'.

Is it wise to do so, just in case they get used without permission?
(if they think they are any good that is)

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

I would love to hear others' responses to this because I'm in a similar stage of the game as you, probably a bit further behind actually.

I think I'm a little different than most, but my response is actually send away. If you are truly creative, then there is a lot more creativity you will be able to contribute, and if it gets you more known, then its worth it. Personally, I'd love for a Top 40 artist to steal my beat! Sure, I might lose out on royalties from that particular song, but it would sure boost my resume.

I know there are some that feel that a producer shouldn't undervalue themselves and just give stuff away, but if you think of it from a business perspective, its just a marketing strategy. Actually, my understanding is that more and more record labels are starting to consider recorded music as just marketing material anyway, meaning that they expect to make more of their money from concert sales, side sponsorships, etc. than from dwindling record sales. Following a similar format, having a few folks steal my tracks would be well worth it if it brought my name up. If they're big enough for me to care, it will be a resume builder. If they're not, no skin off my back.

I guess it depends on how well known you already are - if you have already had several major placements, I would think it would be a huge mistake to send out beats that could be stolen. If you're still struggling just to get know, I would say put stuff out there.

One thing is for sure, though - if you put stuff out there by just emailing it, expect full well for it to be stolen.

Thanks for your reply on this bobbywest!

I’m mainly concerned about not receiving the credit, which has held me back from sending my stuff out years ago.

The thing is with it is I’m not really looking to get a cheque on a first placement.
I’d rather the credit just to get my name out there!

I realise also it’s a dog eat dog business but if a artist is getting a free beat why not just credit the producer?

Will copyrighting (by sending to myself) help in this regard?
I do that but not sure if it’s worth it.

Not really feeling the Soundclick thing of selling beats online since I don’t want to just be making typical ‘dirty south’ type beats.
Those are easy to make and I’m a sampling producer, which is not too popular on those $20 beat websites…

Has anybody had this experience of sending beats to artists directly or any other advice on this?

I definitely hear you there about the credit, and I'd love to hear what other people have to say. I guess the only motivation for an artist not crediting someone is that the producer could come back and ask for royalties later, but I'm not sure. I'm too new in the game to have been around the block on this one. Looking forward to hearing what other people have to say...

Back