is it worth getting synths?

nznexus

mandy lane
i have been producing with plugins but of course there is synths.. but im wondering if its worth gettin hardware?

the reason is... its very complicated but i think that most synth and plugin there is not that BIG difference in sound.

there is synth like the roland, and other manufacturer out there.

but i feel like synth takes up alot of space and they are heavy so i like to work fast.

i know you can connect the synth to your computer but then again what is the difference in the sound if its going into the daw and everything sounds digital?

yes synths can be nice to look at and they look good but im just wondering do you really need hardware synths to make music? arent plugins good enough..

how do you feel

If you can't hear or feel a difference, then it's probably not worth it to you. For myself, it's more of a workflow thing - I like having per-parameter controls (or at least for the most important things) that are right in front of me, without having to assign MIDI controllers or something; the process is as important as what comes out of it. Plugins are certainly pretty good these days, but some of us like sitting amidst a sea of synthesizers and turning knobs. I'm not gonna even go into the "analog vs. digital" argument; let's just say that different things sound different - whether or not that difference is for the better or worse, only you can decide.

As for the "sounding digital" thing, consider this: does, say, an acoustic guitar recorded onto tape through a tube preamp and then into a DAW sound "digital" to you? With a decent interface & today's technology, you're getting a pretty much exact representation of the analog sound going into the DAW; it doesn't mean everything suddenly ends up sounding like a video game.

Back