Is Going Digital Bad?

beatpro1

LGuzzy101
I'm looking to branch off into DJ-ing somewhat. I have some friends that DJ, and they hate the digital movement...as far as turntables. I was wondering if y'all feel the same and why?

I understand there is nothing like the true feel of vinyl but what's wrong with the new technology?

What are the pros/cons of having vinyl or digital tables (like Numark Ns7)?

I'm looking to branch off into DJ-ing somewhat. I have some friends that DJ, and they hate the digital movement...as far as turntables. I was wondering if y'all feel the same and why?

I understand there is nothing like the true feel of vinyl but what's wrong with the new technology?

first off let me say that I have to give big ups to all the pioneers of dj'ing that have used vinyl and still continue to use viny... no hate here..

with that being said...

re: your friends.

your friends are possibly scared of 'change'. Digital vs Analogue debate has been going on for awhile. I think its safe to say that Digital now has been widely accepted.

Here's what I think, and you can ask your friends if this is what they feel.

Your traditional DJ (vinyl user) has this notion that digital DJ'ing is bad.

They think this because, kids nowadays are able to use software that does this and automatically does that ... meanwhile, your traditional DJ friends has spent countless hours or years perfecting beat matching, sound selection and technical turntable/mixer skill.

They probably get the feeling that they're being robbed of their blood sweat tears and time theyve put into this craft. Probably even go far as to say that digital DJ's are cheating...etc

Now is going digital bad?

hells no...in fact is even better!

thousands of songs on a hard drive as opposed to carrying crates and crates of vinyl....your sound selection unlimited now

have you seen the things they are doing with controllerism? (digital dj'ing) check out some of the stuff at djtechtools (dot) com -

the creativity that has opened up because of going digital has opened doors to thing that you cant do on vinyl and 2 decks.

people are already pushing the envelope when it comes to digital dj'ing. its not about mixing track a into track b anymore.

embrace technology and change... its bound to happen or you're just gonna be left in the dust...along with all the vinyl records.

2cents.

I have some friends that DJ, and they hate the digital movement...as far as turntables.

Do they hate programs like Serato or digital USB turntables?

There's a lot of technology out there. What specifics technology are you referring to?

Pros:
Technics last forever
Technics are very serviceable. Parts are easily found.

Cons:
USB is a technology and like all technologies, it will be surpassed with something new.

Numark, well I wouldn't buy anything Numark.

first off let me say that I have to give big ups to all the pioneers of dj'ing that have used vinyl and still continue to use viny... no hate here..

with that being said...

re: your friends.

your friends are possibly scared of 'change'. Digital vs Analogue debate has been going on for awhile. I think its safe to say that Digital now has been widely accepted.

Here's what I think, and you can ask your friends if this is what they feel.

Your traditional DJ (vinyl user) has this notion that digital DJ'ing is bad.

They think this because, kids nowadays are able to use software that does this and automatically does that ... meanwhile, your traditional DJ friends has spent countless hours or years perfecting beat matching, sound selection and technical turntable/mixer skill.

They probably get the feeling that they're being robbed of their blood sweat tears and time theyve put into this craft. Probably even go far as to say that digital DJ's are cheating...etc

Now is going digital bad?

hells no...in fact is even better!

thousands of songs on a hard drive as opposed to carrying crates and crates of vinyl....your sound selection unlimited now

have you seen the things they are doing with controllerism? (digital dj'ing) check out some of the stuff at djtechtools (dot) com -

the creativity that has opened up because of going digital has opened doors to thing that you cant do on vinyl and 2 decks.

people are already pushing the envelope when it comes to digital dj'ing. its not about mixing track a into track b anymore.

embrace technology and change... its bound to happen or you're just gonna be left in the dust...along with all the vinyl records.

2cents.

I like the way you think!!!... I was thinking along the lines of everything you said. I just thought maybe I was missing something.

I've had this same problem with Producers. So many producers like having hardware/equipment, and they kinda look down on FL Studio & Reason. However, software is taking over everything.

It's always easier to upgrade software vs. equipment in my opinion.

Do they hate programs like Serato or digital USB turntables?

There's a lot of technology out there. What specifics technology are you referring to?

Pros:
Technics last forever
Technics are very serviceable. Parts are easily found.

Cons:
USB is a technology and like all technologies, it will be surpassed with something new.

Numark, well I wouldn't buy anything Numark.

They hate digital turntables... however they like Serato. So that kinda confused the hell out of me, because it's like they're turning their vinyl hardware into a digital unit. lol

Why wouldn't you buy Numark??? Bad Quality??

What unit would you guys prefer I check out?

I took a look at the Vestax Vci-300 & the Numark Ns7 ... these seem to be the best digital units right now. Also, the Ns7 has a direct drive built in. Does it make a big difference if the unit "spins" or not?

But let me know what you guys suggest I should try.

thanks a lot y'all

Last edited:
What do you mean by DJing? Scratch or spin?

If you're just spinning records mainly, there's no reason not to go digital. Just make sure you use high quality mp3s or .wav files. If you're scratching, you can definitely use digital stuff, but at the highest levels, the limitations can hold you back. Most of the best scratch DJs use real vinyl. Some use digital stuff, though, and as it gets better and cheaper I'm sure you'll see more scratch heads with digital-based sets.

It's also a bit scene dependent. In some places, people might prefer that the DJ play vinyl. Doesn't matter all that often, really.

Personally, though, vinyl just rocks. People really will think you're cool just because you've got records.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO I would Just get one turntable and one cdj and maybe do a lil EQing on the turntable channel. But you can scratch and cut and all the good stuff on vinyl using the turntable and then sample and do all your chops or whatever on the cdj.

What do you mean by DJing? Scratch or spin?

If you're just spinning records mainly, there's no reason not to go digital. Just make sure you use high quality mp3s or .wav files. If you're scratching, you can definitely use digital stuff, but at the highest levels, the limitations can hold you back. Most of the best scratch DJs use real vinyl. Some use digital stuff, though, and as it gets better and cheaper I'm sure you'll see more scratch heads with digital-based sets.

It's also a bit scene dependent. In some places, people might prefer that the DJ play vinyl. Doesn't matter all that often, really.

Personally, though, vinyl just rocks. People really will think you're cool just because you've got records.

I wanna do a lil bit of everything when it comes Djing. I see what you're saying about having vinyls. I've seen some youtube videos where ppl were scratching on the Vestax Vci-300 and it was pretty good.

Like you said... ppl think you're cool when you have records. So when you don't have records do ppl not take you as serious?

I live in ATL ... & there aren't a large # of record stores... so the smart thing might be to go digital. I just don't want ppl to not take me serious tho.....

Like you said... ppl think you're cool when you have records. So when you don't have records do ppl not take you as serious?

Nah. People will still take you serious, they just won't mention that you're using digital stuff usually, because it's not really considered quirky or anything. People are usually surprised that someone is spinning only vinyl. But then again, sometimes I'm at a place on an old-school punk night and it's expected that the DJ be spinning 7-inch records from the 80s. In that case, people might not take a digital DJ seriously.

I live in ATL ... & there aren't a large # of record stores... so the smart thing might be to go digital. I just don't want ppl to not take me serious tho.....

In this day and age, no one blinks an eye at digital stuff. It's the norm now. But regarding vinyl, you can find a ton of stuff online. Most record stores have online sites, plus ebay is full of vinyl sellers. But ATL should have a bunch of record stores, right? It's a big city. There were some decent ones in Athens, but it's been a looong time since I was in Georgia, so you never know.

They hate digital turntables... however they like Serato. So that kinda confused the hell out of me, because it's like they're turning their vinyl hardware into a digital unit. lol

Digital turntables don't have the same built as a Technic. Yes, they are playing a digital signal through their analog table, but the functionality of the Technic is superior to any USB turntable.

Why wouldn't you buy Numark??? Bad Quality??

I wouldn't say bad, but you can much better for a little bit more. You could buy a $500 Numark mixer "whatever model," but for $250 more you could buy a Rane that will last you forever.

With dj equipment, its best to be patient and buy the best you can in the beginning. Buy cheap, buy twice.

the way i see things, just use whatever gets the job done. digital is good with a controller and it allows you to carry thousands of songs in your back pocket. midi is also great and allows you to do more than just play track a into track b.
if your friends want to carry on the old style then let them do so but dont let them tell you that you have to as well. maybe incorporate a bit of the old and new to have the best of both worlds :) at the end of the day once you can achieve the results you want is all that matters

the way i see things, just use whatever gets the job done.

But at what cost? You could build a house with cheapest materials, but how long will that house last? Why spend money on three houses, when you can build one that last forever.

i tihkn it depends in the type of music u play, if ur spinnin non hiphop then i dont think it really matters if u use whatever cos ur just spinin and mixin records, hiphop wise i think u should be able to scratch a bit, and the types of mixes in hiphop suit using decks weather vinyl or off serato vinyl. i use serato persoanly, best of both, vinyl control, digital tracks, just cant wait till u dont need the laptop and the box, just plug in somat like a usb harddrive to the mixer and ur away would be my dream.

For wanting to DJ...If your serious about being a true DJ get Tables with a DVS system. You will want vinyl to practice your scratching on. I use both Vinyl and Digital when I scratch and I don't care who says what there is no way that digital beats vinyl in this situation. I use 2 Technics with Tracktor Scratch Duo. I was hesitant to switch to digital at first but it soon became apparent, as many people have said in this thread, the pros to going digital. I have the best of both worlds and I suggest the same to you.

Peace
Jester

But at what cost? You could build a house with cheapest materials, but how long will that house last? Why spend money on three houses, when you can build one that last forever.

what i meant with my post was he should decide what he wants to use as long he can do what he needs to with the gear. if he wants to scratch, loop, whatever then get the type of decks that can achieve his goal.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with going digital as long boundaries are being pushed and technical skill is still advancing. Get Serato or Traktor. Use turntables. Use a midi controller along with turntables and freak tracks out in crazy ways. I use my MPD32 with my 1200's and Serato and do some crazy ill **** like triggering cue points redrumming the beat that is playing with the MPD pads while using the note repeat and swing features. Kats flip when they see that shilt. With technology you can push limits. Thats the kind of stuff that gets you noticed and earns you respect. Guys who are still doing basic dj'ing with new technology are just basic. Push the limits with technology.

Back