Is 2006/07/08 R&B and HipHop considered as last genereation?

DAS-BOOM

So I'm here producing for my album and my teammates album, and like usual I need some inspiration to get me in that mood.

Now that leaves me with a dilemma.. I'll post these tracks for reference.

Bobby V - Anonomous
Ne-Yo - Because of you
Lloyd - Get it Shawty
Timbaland - The Way I Are ft. Keri Hilson, D.O.E
Timbaland - Give It To Me ft. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake
Lil Bow Wow- Outta My System
Kanye West - Good Life
Kanye West - Amazing
T-Pain - Buy U A Drank
Chingy Featuring Tyrese - Pullin' Me Back
Trey Songz - Can't Help But Wait
Snoop Dogg - Beautiful ft. Pharrell Williams
Pharrell-Frontin

As you can see all these songs have a great bounce to them, great singing, structure, and a sense of soul.

My problem is there is so much 808's in today's music with no sense of soul, structure and presence, and the last year I heard so much soul from everyone(on radio) was in 2007/08.
I want to know from the people here if the songs themselves and the production sound dated.

Like if Bobby V came out with Anonymous today or Trey dropped Cant help but wait Today, would it get just as much spins as it did in 2007?

Now I can't front, as much as I like raw hiphop, I'm a sucker for a good structured song.
And since I look for those years for inspiration, would this be wrong?

ps my group does R&B and Rap.

man i wasn't even in my 20s in 2006 i feel like i've been in my 20s forever at this point. that was a LONG time ago.

Nah I think its cool that ur lookin back to 2007/2008, create what ever style that your feeling, If you think it sounds good, there will be other music listeners out there with the same mindset. I'd Say do what u feel is right atm and follow what your feelin (in this case, 2007 style tracks).

dj mustard beats still sound like 2000 era, what are you talking about

Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "soul". Either a song is good or not.

Not just the beat, but the message/singing/structure that goes along with it.

True R&B all the way throughout ie: can't help but wait. / because of you

Now when I say soul I mean the feeling that the artist gives off. Al Green [soul] - early trey [soul] - parts of timbalands shock value 1 album [soul].
2014 there is no feeling of happiness in the songs writing, there is no singing in that form, and I wish anyone here would say they have a message :P.

Nah I think its cool that ur lookin back to 2007/2008, create what ever style that your feeling, If you think it sounds good, there will be other music listeners out there with the same mindset. I'd Say do what u feel is right atm and follow what your feelin (in this case, 2007 style tracks).

My man! :D

I sense that you like a few tracks from back then and can see where I'm coming from.
Personally I still love that timbaland / danja type sound scape, the airy future beat like "get it shawty".

^ posting a list like that up no you are not. lol I'm your same age and that was garbage back then and that's garbage to this day.

^ posting a list like that up no you are not. lol I'm your same age and that was garbage back then and that's garbage to this day.

:hmmm: garbage, yet better than todays top 10.

You know I'm going to say each his own, but you can't act like the songs I posted weren't loved by millions back then and still till this day.

Though I wish you would define garbo, instead of just saying it with no explanation.

Not just the beat, but the message/singing/structure that goes along with it.

True R&B all the way throughout ie: can't help but wait. / because of you

Now when I say soul I mean the feeling that the artist gives off. Al Green [soul] - early trey [soul] - parts of timbalands shock value 1 album [soul].
2014 there is no feeling of happiness in the songs writing, there is no singing in that form, and I wish anyone here would say they have a message :P.

My man! :D

I sense that you like a few tracks from back then and can see where I'm coming from.
Personally I still love that timbaland / danja type sound scape, the airy future beat like "get it shawty".

On the R&B side check out Miguel, Frank Ocean or the Weeknd. All very "soulful" as you put it.

"Happy" by Pharrell is a happy song.

So I'm here producing for my album and my teammates album, and like usual I need some inspiration to get me in that mood.

Now that leaves me with a dilemma.. I'll post these tracks for reference.

Bobby V - Anonomous
Ne-Yo - Because of you
Lloyd - Get it Shawty
Timbaland - The Way I Are ft. Keri Hilson, D.O.E
Timbaland - Give It To Me ft. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake
Lil Bow Wow- Outta My System
Kanye West - Good Life
Kanye West - Amazing
T-Pain - Buy U A Drank
Chingy Featuring Tyrese - Pullin' Me Back
Trey Songz - Can't Help But Wait
Snoop Dogg - Beautiful ft. Pharrell Williams
Pharrell-Frontin

As you can see all these songs have a great bounce to them, great singing, structure, and a sense of soul.

My problem is there is so much 808's in today's music with no sense of soul, structure and presence, and the last year I heard so much soul from everyone(on radio) was in 2007/08.
I want to know from the people here if the songs themselves and the production sound dated.

Like if Bobby V came out with Anonymous today or Trey dropped Cant help but wait Today, would it get just as much spins as it did in 2007?

Now I can't front, as much as I like raw hiphop, I'm a sucker for a good structured song.
And since I look for those years for inspiration, would this be wrong?

ps my group does R&B and Rap.

My definition of soul is more old school influenced. The Last time I heard what I consider to be real soul was 2002:

Last edited:
To each his own indeed! I like all em songs you posted..I don't think they sound dated...I liked that sound :)

It wouldn't be wrong at all considering the fact that most hip-hop artists nowadays are untalented and 'lucky' lol.

Yes... Happy by Pharell is pure throwback soul...
I love timbaland..
But James brown is more soul than anything mad in decades..
Some of James Brown beats and basslines are hard

Back