Introductions & Questions :D

Shawn H Cheah

Hey all!!! Name's Shawn, 28 from Malaysia and have been rather inspired lately to dive deeper into music and have been listening to so much trance even! I may sound completely irrelevant at times and I may even sound ridiculously ridiculous from time to time and I do apologize in advance :) It's great to be here.

A little about myself, I've been doing (when I say doing I mean not so well) since I was 13 and am able to play multiple instruments. Guitar, Violin, Piano, Harp, Horn, Bass and Conducting being my main (have no idea how to play drums others than smack thwack bam). That said though I've been composing less and less lately due to not being able to focus. Traditional music making just doesn't inspire me as much anymore and it's hard to achieve the same feel I get when I put on something from say Armin van Buuren or Andrew Rayel. The only moment I achieve that very same feeling is when I'm conducting a show or when I'm concluding one. And that's too far in between so I'm really really looking forward to diving straight into this and sound horrible for a good while (Yeap.............)

I have no idea how a soundboard works on the most basic of set ups other than those on amps so I'm pretty sure I'll have no idea what to do on any piece of equipment. Kinda regretting not going behind the glass pane and learning more from the awesome dudes who makes it all sound good but yeah.

This may very well be a very open ended question but what do I require to start as an inspiring bedroom producer? Do I require anything physical other than a well equipped computer? I know some midi though not much however have been using GuitarPro which supports it greatly. Say I'm not willing to go in big and buy everything at 1 go can I jump into something like guitar pro and compose something in there convert it and work on it in another program? I'm absolutely clueless at this point and would appreciate anything at all! Will jump onto tutorials and guides as soon as I get my list up :D Thanks!!!

Welcome!
I'd recommend FL Studio and a cheap midi controller for now. You'll know what you need when the time comes. You have a great foundation in music so you know how this all goes. I have been playing guitar and piano for a few years and took a break from producing to study jazz.

Back