inspiration problem

C

Crix

Hi guys. I've started making music about three months ago. I try to learn as much as I can and to progress as fast as I can. I feel like in this field of my life im very patient.
In that time i got two little breaks for 4-5 days. I want to make music everyday because it gives me a lot of fun and I feel like i'm doing something good in my life, that I don't waste time just sitting here and playing games or something (I didn't want to offend people that like computer games). The question is, is it normal that sometimes I need break and find inspiration in something? And second, in what way you find inspirations to create something new? I sometimes just lost idea on how to start doing some new beat or song. Sorry for my bad english:) Leave your comments! :)

1st question: Yes
2nd question: Listen to music, lot's of it, and lot's of different genres. Or watch TV or something. Relax and take a deep breath, there's no need to rush and force creativity. Also just fool around and try stuff out on the software or with the gear you're using.

If you easily lose your idea, it could mean that you don't make enough effort to take it easy and analyze your idea so you understand it better, instead you maybe try to produce your idea right away, and voila, easy come easy go.
And of course, it takes time to develope a musical ear. As this evolves you're able to produce your ideas faster since you're not struggling that much anymore to find the right keys to make the melody and so on.

question 1) Personally, I find it absolutely crucial to take a break here and there. Even the best melody, drop or beat gets annoying, when you hear it 8 hour/ 4 days in a row. Forcing yourself to create, when in fact you do not want to, can absolutely kill the track you are working at.

question 2) Listen to music. And I recommend listen to different genres of music than you are producing. I produce electro/prog, but in my breaks I love to listen to funky, disco, classical music, folk etc. . It kinda resets my ears and mind, and I am able to overcome the urge to stay in the narrow edm pattern box.

And when you still want to make music even during your breaks I recommend to cut some samples from your favourite song and try to work with it in different genre.

Ie in my case: from time to time, I try to sample some 70s/80s disco track (Barry Manilow <3 ) and create some hip-hop beats. Just for fun.

Just have fun, do not force yourself. ;)

Just make anything. No one ever said that you have to release everything you make to the public. I got a hard drive full of garbage tunes I made back in the day.

Just keep working. You will either improve or quit. No shortcuts or advice is going to replace hard work.

Last edited:
Been there. If you have to take a break, take a break. But always come back, always. Its good its kinda like a habit for you.
Somedays Ur gonna be off. You can't always be super inspired and always make killer beats. I know it sucks. But the next day you could make the sickest beat.
You never know. Just trust in the universe and be patient. Don't resist to what your body is telling you. If you aint feelin it, you're gonna make crap (90%) of the time.

It takes years of practice to hone your musical talent to where you can sit down and create something good every time.

I've gotten to a point where I can make a song anyplace at anytime and it's been a long road of trial and error to get here.

My most favorite way to start is creating a chord progression, messing with new instrument plugins, digging for radical drum samples etc

I'll write you.

Be you. You are, what you like. You are what you eat. Get to eat something you like.

Third of all do something you like. Then ofcourse, make music after you enjoy something to take some stress away.

Look at a painting. Write a poem. Do a sketch or doodle. These are things that can lead to fast creative work.

For instance get involved in your likes. Make music you like, make music for you, or decide to make music for others. But decide.

To answer your question better now that I reread it. Take a break and do something rewarding other than music. Fulfill yourself with something good to do as well other than music.

Personally I work out, go for walks. Play bf3. EAT. Talk to God. Meditate on occasion for even just a moment. Paint. Read a few lines out of a book. Look at pictures in a magazine. Not naughty cuz it kills the situation for me.

basically I do whatever I find to be good other than music that will reward my music or even to fulfill another part of my life. I want to be complete and well rounded.

Last edited:
THANKS GUYS I really appreciate all your responds to my question! I'm glad I could find this type of forum in which there are so many kind people. I read everything and it helped me a lot! Thanks once again! :)

I usually take a break and relax or go on an adventure and try enjoy myself. Maybe for half a day, maybe for a week. Also I always listen to my favourite music or try to find new music that touches me, then go back and listen to all my OLD favourite jams of all genres over the years. (the songs that allways inspire you and you never get sick of).

Being relaxed and intuitive usually creates a spark given the right push ;P Also check out samples, loops and anything in your arsenal that you can draw inspiration from and try mold them appropriately with your personal taste and vision.

Hi guys. I've started making music about three months ago. I try to learn as much as I can and to progress as fast as I can. I feel like in this field of my life im very patient.
In that time i got two little breaks for 4-5 days. I want to make music everyday because it gives me a lot of fun and I feel like i'm doing something good in my life, that I don't waste time just sitting here and playing games or something (I didn't want to offend people that like computer games). The question is, is it normal that sometimes I need break and find inspiration in something? And second, in what way you find inspirations to create something new? I sometimes just lost idea on how to start doing some new beat or song. Sorry for my bad english:) Leave your comments! :)

If you haven't already read it, check out The Mechanism of Mind:

Mechanism of Mind, Edward De Bono (Amazon.com)

It's a great book that's fun to read - it was written by a PhD who decided to specialize in creativity.
In the book, he creates an easy-to-understand model of how your mind works.
He then uses the model to help you understand how to be more creative and inspired.

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

Back