I'm not classical. But I'm not electronic either.

VegEMight

I've been teaching myself music for a year. From absolute scratch. Most of that has been composing solo piano music. Since I can not play any instrument I compose in Finale and put the midi into FL Studio, with my chosen instrument/s, and make a track. I have not played with FL Studio much from an electronic perspective. I plan to.

To some degree I have got a bit fed up with the classical music scene. I've entered competitions and not got any thanks for entering. I have found piano players, frankly, to be a precious lot who are not worth composing for. By now I have got OK at composing complex music with suspended chords, trills and other things. Pity pianists are too snobbish to get any happiness from any of it.

So I am not classical. Yet I am also not electronic. I don't relate to dubstep or Skrillex. I don't want to emulate or imitate them or anyone else - I just want to make my music. So I don't know what to call what I do; I compose classically and play it through electronic VST instruments. My favourite instruments:

classical - the grand piano in Kontakt.
FL Studio electronic - the Ogun.

Also worth adding that I am a lot older than most people on this forum. That adds another layer of complexity; I was brought up watching bands that most people on these forums would roll their eyes at. [any fans of Jethro Tull's 70's prog rock? Anyone? Sniff. You leave me feeling like a dead duck, spitting out my broken luck.
[that one is for any Tull fans!]

Am I the forum's only nowhere, wandering, inbetween guy ? I'm not dubstep. I'm not classical. I'm something. Yet nothing. I'm the musical equivalent of an aero chocolate bar.

I also started out as a classical musician, although my music probably falls under the category of 'classical inspired electronic' rather than classical itself.

If you're looking for other places more classical aligned you could try reddit: r/composers might be the place for you...

Last edited:
Back