I'm a beginner. I wanna do scratches on my tracks, would traktor scratch be good?

JamesyDame

Hey I'm a beginner to DJ'ing - I have made beats for a while but would love to incorporate scratches into my tracks. Would traktor scratch be good for me or could someone recommend a product that would be good to learn on? I don't have a massive budget and I won't spend around 1000 on equipment, maybe half that. Thanks

No x fader required. You can set the fader curve, which is how fast it cuts in or how slow, in the Traktor program. You want it to be as sharp as possible and it works perfectly granted you have a good computer running it. Follow me on soundcloud and I'll do the same:

https://soundcloud.com/jp-hardboiled

Hey I'm a beginner to DJ'ing - I have made beats for a while but would love to incorporate scratches into my tracks. Would traktor scratch be good for me or could someone recommend a product that would be good to learn on? I don't have a massive budget and I won't spend around 1000 on equipment, maybe half that. Thanks

Find a use Technics 1200, and a used Vestax mixer, PMC 05 or PMC 06 pro. The 1200 should be around 200-400 on kijiji or craigslist if you look hard, the Vestax mixer should be under 200, maybe as low as 75-100. That's definitely your best bet to learn on for pure scratching, both because it's the best for both accuracy and sound, but it's also fairly cost effective and used 1200s don't really lose their value if you ever decide to sell.

You can use vinyl at first (they make records with sounds that sound good to scratch called Battle Records that cost around $10 each), and practice your skills with that. Depending on what you want that might be all you ever need. If you're looking to scratch custom sounds then you'll need Serato or Traktor to go along with it, but it's unnecessary to get at the beginning anyways since it'll take at least 3-6 months to get enough skills to record something that sounds decent. You can save up some more money in that time, and by the time you get an MP3 setup you will be good enough to use it. Chances are if you got it off the bat you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it for a while anyways.

Back