I wore the shit out of this cassette as a kid (still stands as best beat of all time)

im1ufo

I'd already heard Public Enemy and while Apocalypse 91 blew my mind, I don't think I quite was able to wrap my head around it at the age of 10. A year later the L.A. riots happened...it was a bit confusing to me but I guess hearing Ice Cube's new album helped give me some perspective on it(or as much perspective as a white boy in Wisconsin can gain)

Ice Cube was on fire on this album..besides the fact that the beat is flawless....you could hear how urgent Cube was and there was a clarity to it.

This opening track is what led to me wearing the dubbed copy of the album my friend gave me. I thought the whole album was great...but I can't tell you how many times I had to rewind the cassette just to listen to "When Will They Shoot?" before moving on to the rest of the songs.

Fast Forward a couple decades later and now that I've been learning to make beats for a couple years I've gained a whole new appreciation for this beat.

This track samples 7 different songs...this is how you throw together some loops!!!

Last edited:
Back