I wanna get into turntables.. help?

b52ravens

Got a couple questions first

Would I be able to buy a USB turntable and be able to scratch with fl studio and such? Where would a mixer come in?

Anyone wanna explain this stuff to me?

lol, I'm asking what I would need and where to start with scratching. Just said I use FL studio in case anyone needed to know what I used.

2 x Technics 1200
Rane ttm-56
needles
records
and about a year of practicing 2 hours a day

Would I be able to buy a USB turntable and be able to scratch with fl studio and such? Where would a mixer come in?

No. You'd need a more decent Turntable to properly scratch. You need a mixer to both A) amplify the Turntable output and B) "cut" your scratches. Go to Youtube and search for "dj qbert DIY". He breaks the whole scratching thing down for ya.

Scratching is tricky, but it's fun. I will say that I think it's easier and cheaper to learn a traditional instrument (which I also play). Scratching is very disciplined, yet there's very little guide to follow. Both physically (no set tones) and mentally (not a lot of "schools" for it). And it's expensive to buy even the most minimal setup to learn properly on.

For what that's worth.

Scratching is very disciplined, yet there's very little guide to follow. Both physically (no set tones) and mentally (not a lot of "schools" for it).

I agree. Unless you know someone, who knows what they're doing, your pretty much going at it blindly.

You will need at least one turntable and a mixer

Turntable - Technics 1200 or 1210
Vestax Pdx 2000

Mixer - Vestax PMC 05,06 or 07
Rane TTM56
Ecler HAK 380
Rodec Scratchbox

You can find turntables and a mixer on ebay or craigslist pretty easy and inexpensive used, compared to how much it will be new

the vestax mixers will be less money and are fine if you are just starting and pros use them as well. a lot of pros will use the other more high end mixers

you will probably want to get a pro x fader or innofader to replace the crossfader. sometimes on ebay the mixer will already have one

the Qbert DIY 1 video is good and you can search youtube for tutorials

also Qbert has an internet scratch university, just google it

check out dstyles, ricci rucker, rob swift, rafik

i'm saying you only need one turntable and a mixer because you can use a tape deck, sampler, cd player or computer to play beats to scratch to. you can do more with 2 turntables, though

My Set Up Right now is:
2 Technics SL 1200MK5's
Vestax Mixer(Definitely Go With Vestax for your first mixer)
Get some quality DJ Headphones dont spend to much on those tho, i have stanton dj pro's, about 100 bucks, worth it.
and then get some battle records and a cord to connect your ipod to your mixer so you can practice scratching to songs you dont have on records.

Eventually you'll want to upgrade to Serato Scratch Live or Traktor or some DJ Software like that. Way worth it

Back