I suck at making beats in front of people. Is this a horrific quality?

Nothing wrong with this at all. I remember seeing a video interview with Swizz Beatz a little while ago and he said that he HATED making a beat with people around and never does it. It takes a while to get the right sound sometimes obviously and the people around you won't be able to hear what you hear in your head.

i cant do it either, well sometimes it motivates me...but producing is hard work, .. it takes a lot of mental energy. You cant focus on everything at once. Work on it though, you''ll get better if you really want to. Mind over matter.

I used to be shy when making beats in front of people until I noticed that alot of them where GENUINELY interest in what I was doin'. Alot of the rappers I've been around have never seen anyone play an instrument much less hammer out a wicked synth solo live and in person. There are times where time is of the the essence and in these cases, I rather bring in skeletons and full beats I already did but if someone is willing to take the time to make something great and watch the magic happen then I'll take the time to make something from scratch. I'm against rushin' the creative process when you're trying to tailor make a track for the artist, that truly takes time, its more then jus playin some keys over a half assed, rushed through drum loop

I don't have a problem working on a track when people are around. But I tend to involve them in the process. And even if they are not musicians, making them play the drums on the track or letting them record the claps or do the vocal FX is beneficial to the process. People love to learn new things and get involved, but you got to be able to show them how to, without getting too technical.

You'd be surprised how much people "know" about making a record, without actually ever having made one.
You just have to ask the right questions, when someone says "I don't like the sound playing the main melody" and you will get more than the usual "well, I think you should use a different sound!".

As far as musicians go, the bass players/guitar players overall are the best ones to pick for collabos/ask to explain their criticism. With keyboarders, you often have to tame their enthusiasm for their own part in the track LOL and drummers want to make every record sound like a 70s The GAP Band record. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not one of those quick 5-10 minute bangers (bout 30 -40% of my tracks), watching me make beats can sometimes be the most BORING thing in the world! For one, I'm not the most skilled keyboardist, so I may take 25 minutes sometimes just trying to get that 8 bar synth or piano loop right I just came up with. This is fine when I'm home alone but with someone over my shoulder I don't function the same.

I'm a believer in it doesn't matter to me or the consumer how or how long it took the track to come together as long as it turns out dope. But obviously I'm referring to when the artist/talent is in the room with you expecting to hear their next hit.

For instance, I read a Drumma Boy interview where he was talking bout how he made the "No Hands" beat right in front of Waka Flocka, Roscoe Dash and a slew of onlookers. I've never make a hot beat in front of someone before but it's not that normal of an occurrence. Usually I make my tracks in solitude or in headphones if in front of people.

I've been wondering how often this is required in the industry if you expect to make it big time.

You're gonna "lol" at the mere idea of me thinking of this but with my luck I could see me sending something to someone like G.O.O.D. Music and Kanye be like " yeah that's straight fire you got. I'm gonna fly you out this weekend. I wanna see how you work."

Screwed... lol

Those same beats he loved when he heard em? Man he's gonna think I'm the wackest negro ever once he sees the sometimes ugly/tedious/boring process used....right?

Yah U would be screwed lol work on ur keys and highten ur skills and ull do fine ....

As your experience level grows and you learn new techniques for playing instruments, you'll notice how easy it is to play in front of people; regardless of how long it takes you to become satisfied with a melody or rhythm. Just have fun with it, even when your bored. Learn how to play keys, drums and guitars. Pay attention to how performers play instruments in live settings. Go to parties where the DJ's known for blowing up the venue. Learn, learn, learn and when you think you've got it learn some more.

haha is it really that difficult? some of ya'll got it bad..just do you, dont let the artists past influence what your making too much, they're working with you for something new(at least most artists).. who cares if it takes 15min or an hr, aslong as its dope.. if the artist respects your craft they'll understand and wouldn't care about time only quality

I usually take one route.. and if im not feeling it I move on to the next ASAP.
Ryan Leslie said it best.. alot of upcoming producers/rappers lack self evaluation.. If your beat is wack, dont be scared to acknowledge it and start something else.. its that easy, just dont force it.. i think thats when it feels like your wasting time, or its taking too long

Last edited by a moderator:
Making a beat on the spot and just vibing with an artist is key in the industry, that's how some of the greatest hits were made. But it won't limit you in getting work in the industry but if you can do it it's a plus.

Back